New Feature: Import Subscribers from CSV file

More
9 years 6 months ago #50996 by Justin Townsend
Replied by Justin Townsend on topic New Feature: Import Subscribers from CSV file
I am having issues importing my 542 members. it states the import was successful but all the data is null.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #51516 by ian
hello, i'm new to web design and slowly figuring out joomla. what i want to do is import a csv with offline subscriber information, about 400 users, into membership pro. i was able to upload a test csv, but need help with the next steps. here are my questions:

1.i understand all the custom field "names" from the csv. but i'm missing some of the other fields and don't know how to find the "name" for these fields or are they different because they are clickable options. for instance my first input should be 1 of 4 different plan options, what should i put in the csv for these inputs? i'm going to attach the csv used and i added to it the csv header exported from the online users, i'm trying to match them up as best possible. (e-mail address removed for security)

2.so once all these users are loaded into membership pro they need to create user id/passwords, since they are offline members. i'm not sure about the easiest way to go about this. i do have access to e-mail for most of these users, but i don't really follow how the automated e-mails work and how to connect them to what i'm trying to do. the best would be to send out automated e-mails with the option for users to create their own id/password. alternatively these could be generated and then they could receive activation emails with their account info and change the id/passwords on the site. is there a way to go about this, or another approach?
i also have acymailing and i don't know if i could use this to perform this task, but don't think it works that way.

3.i should also mention that this test user i created did not receive any e-mail and i'm not sure if i have the settings right in this regard. he was uploaded with an active e-mail but was not status was pending and not active because of the #1 question.

4.also i don't understand if membership pro creates a separate set of users or does it combine into the joomla users. the test one i created did not make a user in joomla, so is there any benefit to having the user in the main joomla user set?

thanks to who ever has a chance to answer. i did look a bit for a solution but did not come across any. thanks tuan if you have a chance to look this over.

More
9 years 5 months ago #51517 by ian
i was just able to get an automated approved email to generate.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 5 months ago #51580 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic New Feature: Import Subscribers from CSV file
Hi Ian

To make it easier for us to check and guide you with solution, could you please submit a support ticket:

1. Send me super admin account of your site so that I can check the custom fields which you created.

2. Send me the csv file which you are having

I will check it and then guide you with the solution

Regards,

Tuan

More
9 years 5 months ago #51660 by ian
Tuan. I'm just away for a bit but will try to get back to you shortly. I don't think I can give you access because the site is up and running with 100 online members and 400 in the csv that I need to upload. The association won't let me give out email lists or access to the site.
What I really need to do is after the csv upload is get the auto email to give the option for users to create their I'd/ passwords.
Any thoughts here. ThanksTuan. Ian

More
9 years 5 months ago #51664 by Ari
Ian,
What I did was to create a temporary password custom field in Membership Pro and Community Builder, mapping the MP field to the CB field (ensure the MP CB plugin enabled). Turned off the email option in Joomla Global Settings. Then when I made the csv file to import I had a password column and a temporary password column. Generated a random password for each user in spreadsheet program (use libre office and save as utf-8 encoded csv) and set password and temporary password column to that. After tweaking all the other user data, saved and imported the csv into MP. This put the temp password (same value as password) into CB. Went into te Joomla Users list, selected all the new users and clicked the 'batch' button, and set all their accounts to require password reset. Then turned Joomla's email option back on. Then sent out an ACYMailing email to the new users with their username and temp password (ACY can use CB fields), telling them they would need to log in to change their password.
That's how I did it...

More
9 years 5 months ago #51666 by Justin Townsend
Replied by Justin Townsend on topic New Feature: Import Subscribers from CSV file
after you successfully import the memberships does it automatically assign the users into the appropriate joomla group?

More
9 years 5 months ago #51667 by Ari
yes, of course, if you enable Membership Pro's groups plugin and then set the groups for each membership plan

More
9 years 5 months ago #51680 by ian
Thanks ari. I'll give that a try when I have a chance. I did think of generating temporary passwords but didn't know how to put it all together. It would be nice to have a shortcut. Most sites, like this forum, send you an email after you set up your account to activate it. It would be nice to send that email out as the one for people to create the account and have each account linked to its uploaded csv data. But I'm not advanced enough to know how to do it. Tweaking the email is not hard, but creating the special logon page link is harder. Or maybe it is easy or not possible? Thanks though for one solution. Ian

More
9 years 4 months ago #53082 by mike armstrong
Replied by mike armstrong on topic New Feature: Import Subscribers from CSV file
Hi - Is there any way to customize the automatically generated email that comes after I import my users? It's not in the "emails and messages" area. Thanks in advance.