Migration from AEC to Membership Pro

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #79441 by x-bit
Replied by x-bit on topic Migration from AEC to Membership Pro
Calum, thanks for stepping in!
I really do not want to be ignorant and I am light years away for being a developer, so please do not judge me the wrong way.

Reading developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/d...ayment-notification/ I really think that this part regarding renewing recurring payment is just a listener.
For sure, during migration, the existing invoice number must be consistent as those are the triggers for the locale processor to locate the user out of IPN message. Other information, such as username, value etc. are given.

I know about a payment solution which developed this AEC migrator in less than a week... no joke. We did evaluate this solution but it did not entirely suite our needs (the component), the migrator is working so far. So we are still looking for something more flexible. I want to be fair, as I was asking a lot for Tuan working on this matter, and we would like to wait for him and then choose which way to go.

As we counted on AEC many years, renewed our membership and payed for any additional service, we are quite upset about the outcome with David. We must avoid a second AEC, we are depending on a functional and maintained membership extension. We are now at the point of not having the possibility to update Joomla to 3.5.1 as it breaks offline payments! We have to move, fast.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by x-bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #79442 by Calum
Replied by Calum on topic Migration from AEC to Membership Pro
Yeh its that invoice and user link up that is tricky.

If you only have 1 plan and so forth its very simple - Invoice 456789 Paid, you find it in the AEC table, find the user id 123 and extend the membership for user 123 for the pre-determined time period.

Now imagine you have 6 plans, some with trial memberships so different prices at different times, Those different plans give access to different content and renew on different times periods - 3 months, 6 months etc. All that needs translated between the two systems so having found user 123 you need to know how long his plan is to run for and which plan to attach to him.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But there are a hell of a lot of AEC settings as you know and trying to unpick the detail in them will take time to do it right.

I'm assuming things like micro-integration migration would need to be done manually etc...

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #79443 by x-bit
I see and agree with all your points...

The mentioned migrator as well does not cover all possibilities and settings. MIs are dropped and manual settings on the migrated plans must be done.
It's for sure not a "fire and forgett" solution, but it does migrate the users, plans, coupons and so on quite nicely.

We had some trouble with time outs, as we have ~12.000 users and this brought the script to it's knees. Doing this locally with some insane values resolves the problem :)

Let's see what Tuan will come up with.

EDIT: I think this came through a little wrong.
The plans are migrated as they are on AEC. They remain inactive and need some manual settings, like email variables and so on. It's not a big deal, once done those plans run almost forever ;)
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by x-bit.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #79444 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Migration from AEC to Membership Pro
@ALL: Yes, my offer still stands and I believe we can handle old recurring subscriptions too (I was able to handle it for Akeeba Subscriptions, AEC should be in the same way). I didn't have much time to work on it because right now, I am finishing refactoring one of my extension for better code base.

Next week, I will focus working on this migration script and I believe we can have it ready within next week.

@x-bit: If it is possible, could you please send me a PayPal IPN message (for recurring payment) so that I can check to see what data is sent back from PayPal in the IPN message for recurring payment renewal ? That will help me complete the migration tool faster. You can post it here or send me an email to tuanpn@joomdonation.com

Regards,

Tuan

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #79463 by x-bit
Tuan,
You have mail! ;)

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #79493 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Yeah, I received your email. Thanks so much !

Tuan

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #79692 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
@x-bit or anyone who is reading this topic

Could you please confirm that AEC doesn't allow defining custom fields (like Membership Pro) ? I don't see that function while checking a website of a customers and could not see the data from database, too

If you could confirm it, that would be great

Tuan

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #79726 by Calum
Replied by Calum on topic Migration from AEC to Membership Pro
Hi Tuan. That is correct AEC didn't handle fields for user profiles - if you wanted additional fields you integrated AEC with another component such as Community Builder to get the additional field content.

The things that AEC had that I don't see in MembPro are:
- When a payment fails you can return to it and re-process it
- Child Subscriptions - ie extras. The best way to describe this might be that you might offer a Bronze Silver Gold structure. Gold probably gets you access to everything for a period of time. Bronze might be free but gives you say just 3 downloads, and Silver offers you 10 downloads. For the customer who wanted 15 downloads they can Buy Silver and add download credits on top of that. I'm not clear how MembPro does that. May be possible using a custom field during check out but not user about upgrades etc - your upgrade changes your plan not adds a second plan if I am not mistaken...

- It has lots of plugins that it called MicroIntegrations that could do some pretty cool things. Very similar to your plugins. Expect once you have the 'core' database sorted you will get people knocking on the door wanting to integrate component X because AEC used to do it...

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #79759 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
@Calum: Thanks for confirming. I know there are still more rooms to improve Membership Pro and I am working hard to improve it.

Currently, I am working on migrating subscriptions data from AEC into Membership Pro (Categories/Plans are easy)

There are few things which I don't understand from looking at database structure:

1. It seems AEC doesn't store subscription history of a subscriber. If a subscriber signs up for multiple subscription plans, can you see this history (when he subscribed, what payment method was used, what is the transaction ID for that subscription..., when it was created...)

2. Anyone here uses recurring payment ? Could you please allow me have a quick look at the site database to see how subscription data for a recurring subscription organized? @x-bit: Could you please help ?

Tuan

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #79760 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
If you have experience with AEC and have few minutes to help me answering some questions directly on Skype, that would be great

My Skype nickname is os.tuanpn

Regards,

Tuan