Joomla core custom fields deleted

More
2 years 1 month ago #150272 by Robert Carr
Replied by Robert Carr on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
I've paid and updated Membership Pro to the latest version and the bug is still present.

Changing membership renewal to 'Create New Subscription' instead of 'Update subscription' has had no effect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #150273 by Robert Carr
I have also disabled the plugin Membership Pro - Userprofile

The user profile fields are still being deleted upon renewal

More
2 years 1 month ago #150275 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Hello Robert

Could you please submit a support ticket sending us:

1. Super admin account

2. A subscriber account

3. Tell me step by step what I need to do to see that error/issue

I will check to see why it happens and guide you to correct it

Tuan

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #150282 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Hi Robert and Tuan
I realise this has gone to a ticket now and you may be using Joomla Core Fields which I am not but I am interested in this topic as I have been achieving near perfect data storage now for years using Membership Pro and I wondered what I am doing differently or what I am not understanding from the other users like yourselves.

I get all the results I need by just using the setting available against Membership Pro Custom Fields and they can be tweaked to any thing I need.

As an example I have one Date Qualification Expiry date field that I need my members to see every time they login but cannot change as they could extend their qualification unfairly. They need to see that date to refer to so they don't call our office all the time for it

For this situation I set the following in Membership Pro against the Custom Field
Access = Registered
Show On Subscription Form = No (So they can't update it)
Show On Profile = Yes (So they can see it any time they login)
Can Edit On Profile = No (Show they can't change it)
Hide On Membership Renewal = No
Populate Data From Previous Subscription = Yes (So historic data retains year after year)
These settings have helped me keep data against the same member for years and years and renewal after renewal now. I'm a pretty simply guy and tend to work that way too and i realise I might be under thinking other JoomDonation users needs so apologies if so. I wanted to add my experiences as Tuan has provided so many filters and field control it suits me perfectly for any situation I need.
I don't use Joomla core fields as I get everything I need through the Membership Pro extension for my members and we query and rely on that data instead.

I can also use the same settings for other Custom Fields where I do want the member to be able to update us of any changes to their profile and again, just adjust those settings to get the field I need with the restrictions I want.

Tuan and his Team have come up trumps for me on this one and I love the control and flexibility I get

Chris
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Chris Jarvis. Reason: Typo

More
2 years 1 month ago #150296 by Robert Carr
Tuan,

Having been Googling this problem to bits, I unpublished the Membership Pro - Easy Profile plugin. It seemed redundant: but I didn't build the site, so not really sure if there are unintentional consequences.

So far, renewals now seem to working correctly, with user profile data remaining intact after the purchase.

Thanks Chris for your response: I think your example is relevant and useful. I will keep an eye on things and may review the issue if there are still problems.

More
2 years 1 month ago #150300 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
OK Robert. Happy to hear that the issue is sorted for new renewals. Please continue monitoring it and if you need us to check it, please don't hesitate to submit ticket

Regards,

Tuan

More
2 years 1 month ago #150373 by Chris Jarvis
Hi Robert and Tuan

I have been exploring this option further and realise what Robert means. The data for fields gets wiped if the custom field is not shown on the Subscription form. If it is shown on the Subscription form then it doesn't get wiped but can be changed by a person renewing themselves.

This is open to the person changing data that they maybe shouldn't be able too. I've realised someone can extend their qualification expiry date with us to whatever they want and put their current qualification grade up to be better too. That is isn't very good as they may cheat their data. We pick this up on our internal system anyway but the website being accurate would be really helpful.

A perfect fix would be having an extra option on all custom fields that is Can Edit on Subscription Form = Yes or No

I think this would allow the data to be visible but not updated by a member.

It works perfectly for:
Show On Profile = Yes
Can Edit On Profile = No

Would it be possible to have the same options for On Subscription Form too Tuan?
Show On Subscription Form = Yes
Can Edit on Subscription Form = No

That might cover things I hope

All the best

More
2 years 1 month ago #150426 by Robert Carr
Thanks Chris

Your proposal sounds like a good solution. I'm finding that unless the custom field can be shown on the subscription renewal form then data from that field is not copied to the new (or extended) subscription. While some of the fields should be editable by the subscriber (such as address), some are useful (but not essential) to show. However, any fields rendered in the subscription renewal are editable which isn't always desirable.

+1 for a 'Can Edit on Subscription Form (y/n)' option. Also needs an 'Edit on Membership renewal (y/n) option.

More
2 years 1 month ago #150443 by Chris Jarvis
Thanks Robert
I get around the situation you describe by setting the Access Level for any custom field that I want info to stay for but the member doesn't need to see to Super Users
This way the field is still 'shown' on the renewal form and the data remains in there BUT the usual visitor can't 'see' the data field as they don't have permission to access that field and can't see it but it is on display if that makes sense

I think if it worked like the Show on Profile (Y/N) and Can Edit on Profile (Y/N) fields, it would be perfect

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Carr

More
2 years 1 month ago #150461 by Robert Carr
That approach doesn't work for me. If the field is not rendered on the renewal form, the data is erased during the renewal process.
I set 'Access' for a custom field ("Membership badge issued" [yes/no]) to SuperUser and the field is not rendered on the renewal form (so data is lost on renewal). If I take the Access control off, then it's rendered on the renewal form and stored post-renewal, but allows the subscriber to modify the field (which is not desirable behaviour).

It seems the only way to retain data in the fields but prevent change on the renewal form is adding `disabled` attribute to each relevant INPUT tag, then hiding the label and field with CSS. But it would be much easier if this functionality was build in to Membership Pro rather than attempt a JS/CSS override.