Joomla core custom fields deleted

• David Schafer
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #109889 by David Schafer
Joomla core custom fields deleted was created by David Schafer
I've learned that Membership Pro's custom fields aren't suitable for maintaining long term administrative data for a member. That is, data items that only admins see, that the user doesn't edit. Each renewal destroys/clears the data. Via the support ticket system I've learned there's no intention to support this behavior for custom fields.

I tried migrating our data into the Joomla core custom fields. My migration was successful but it seems Membership Pro destroys that data as well. It's deleted when an administrator renews a user or changes the membership status of a user.

Has anyone out there come up with a strategy for maintaining administrative information about a member that is retained from year to year?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #109906 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Hi David

In short, it is a bug in Joomla core API and we haven't found a solution yet, there have been so many attempts to fix it, see github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/19752 for example

(It was failed again as other attempts)

When I have time today, I will try to find a solution for this problem, too, but we must fix it in Joomla core API

Regards,

Tuan

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #110253 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Hi David and Tuan
I'm worried I might not be fully understanding the issue but I wanted to pick up on the point that Membership Pro Custom Fields aren't suitable for storing long term admin data on a member.

I've been using these to great effect recently and things are working perfectly for me and I'm getting a lot of long term benefit from them without mapping anything to core Joomla fields.

Tuan recently added in further functionality last year where a member can now see some fields if we want them to and not be able to edit them.

We are just starting our 3rd year of membership renewals and custom field data about the member entered originally is still connected to each member upon renewal.

I love it and find it very useful. I might be misunderstanding your needs sorry but we created a lot of fields that show the level of a member, details about them as they stay a member and progress upwards in qualifications over years that we want them to see but not change or upgrade themselves and this always stays on each of their membership subscription records over the years without getting deleted or wiped.

I created various custom fields and set each one to certain access right levels in Joomla and also set them to be on all membership plans or only certain plans i created.

Some fields I have set the Can Edit on Profile to No and some I have set to Yes.
Some fields I have set to Hide on Membership Renewal and some I have set to No and it all works perfectly.

I have created some fields called Workplace, Qualification Level and Membership ID
We also monitor Total Hours for next Qualification and Total Hours achieved that we update for them each year and they can view but not change.

These details stay with them even after they renew their membership plan or change their plan and I made that happen by going to Membership Pro Configuration page
Under the General Tab - there is Subscription Settings and I changed the Syncronize Data option to Yes so that everything remains each time a member updates their subscription.

I love it because it has been a great way of having all their details available to us and our members each year and it builds up over time perfectly for us.

Sorry if this isn't what you need to do and I have misunderstood the original post but wanted to say that I have used the Custom fields for great benefit to store data on members over a number of subscription periods this way and it works great without using Joomla core and only using Membership Pro functionality.

Thanks

Chris

• David Schafer
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #110276 by David Schafer
Replied by David Schafer on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Hi Chris,

I think the difference between your fields and ours is that we don't want the user to ever see our admin fields. Tuan has confirmed this in our support ticket #65358. I wish we could eliminate the need for our to do this - that would be the sensible approach. I've taken the harder road - moving the data into a custom table, supporting edits.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #110286 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
It sure does sound like a tough one David and I hope you find a solution that works well for you.

We have some fields that our users never see and we update and monitor these through the back end of website.

We created the different fields and assign only Super User access in Membership Pro. That way only our staff can see these fields and never the user. It works well for us but I have the feeling you are working on a more complex approach than us.

Good luck with things and hope you get a result.

Chris

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #110295 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Just want to update that the bug of Joomla core regarding custom fields data being deleted might not be fixed in next release 3.8.6 as we haven't agreed on a solution yet (there are still technical issues to address)

If Joomla could not come up with a solution, I might provide a patch for it to prevent this issue here

Regards,

Tuan

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #150203 by Robert Carr
Replied by Robert Carr on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Did you ever resolve this problem or generate a patch? I am running a site based on Joomla 3.x and we are losing important data from custom fields each time a subscription is renewed.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #150204 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Robert

What version of the extension you are using? This issue was from long time ago, recently, I haven't heard anyone reported issue like this anymore

Tuan

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #150209 by Robert Carr
Replied by Robert Carr on topic Joomla core custom fields deleted
Currently using 2.20.2. I've been reluctant to pay for a new subscription to upgrade to 2.26 because of the data in custom fields being deleted on members renewing. It's causing a real problem.

I'm currently spinning up a local copy of the website to test your suggestion at joomdonation.com/forum/membership-pro-ge...-renewal.html#128639 to see if this is contributing to the problem

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #150210 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
You really should use latest version. Sometime, there are bugs on older version and it is fixed later.

If the data from user profile is that important, you might want to disable the plugin Membership Pro - Userprofile

Tuan