pending subscribers are able to login

• Alison
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #49080 by Alison
When subscribers sign up choosing to pay 'offline' their account shows as 'pending' in Membership Pro
If they then try to login it tells them they cannot
when they try to login for a SECOND time, it allows them access
This obviously is causing us problems

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #49092 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic pending subscribers are able to login
Hi Alison

The question is that do you want the Pending Subscribers to be able to login or not ? In my opinion, you should still allow pending subscribes to login.

However, please don't give access to restricted resources on your site to normal Registered users.

The correct way to give access to subscribers to restricted resources is that :

1. Setup Joomla groups in Joomla and setup Membership pro so that when users sign up for the plan, they will be assigned to the Joomla groups you want.

2. Only give access to restricted to resources to the above created Joomla groups, not normal Joomla Registered group

Regards,

Tuan

More
9 years 8 months ago #49109 by moldygrrl
Replied by moldygrrl on topic pending subscribers are able to login
Please explain what the difference is between Access option on the Basic Plan tab and the options on the Joomla Groups Settings -- assuming I setup a group with access level and called it MEMBERS would I set this under BOTH Access in Basic tab panel and in Joomla Groups Settings for subscribe and unsubscribe?

OR would I set the Access on the basic tab panel to Public, so that All Users can see the Professional Membership plan option, and then set the subscribe options to MEMBERS?

More
9 years 8 months ago #49113 by Ari
Replied by Ari on topic pending subscribers are able to login
Here's how I've set mine up:
1) In Membership Pro --> Plans --> [your plan name] --> Basic Information Tab, set the Access to Public, so that All Users can see the plan option.
2) In Membership Pro --> Plans --> [your plan name] --> Joomla Groups Settings tab, set "Assign to Joomla Groups" to "Registered" and "Members"; and set "Remove from Joomla Groups" to "Members".
This way 1) the public can sign up and 2) registered members can sign up. #2 is important because you want lapsed memberships to still be able to sign in and renew (eg, renew after it expires) rather than starting over again.
Hope this helps,
Ari
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alison

More
9 years 8 months ago #49119 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic pending subscribers are able to login
Thanks @Ari for very helpful information. Will try to document this ASAP (still want to finish some other small improvements to Membership Pro).

Regards,

Tuan

• Alison
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #49188 by Alison
Replied by Alison on topic pending subscribers are able to login
I have since resolved the below by inserting all of my forms into articles and using the 'Articles Restriction Settings' plugin
It would be great if my PM forms could be used in this way so I did not have to insert them into articles.
B)
OK so I have changed the settings as described by Ari

I have set the restricted forms and menu items to 'member'

There are, however, viewable links to the restricted forms on an article page, normally when a non-registered user clicks on the links it takes them to the login form.

Now when a 'registered' user (but not yet a fully paid up 'member') clicks on the links it takes them to a 403 error page, which is not good. Is there any way I can still have the form links viewable publically and not have 'registered' users end up at a 403?

this is my test site and problem page energywarwickshire.org.uk/140905/index.php/order
I have set up a'registered user' whos subscription is pending payment
username: testpaymentfail2
password: testpaymentfail2

Any ideas how i can resolve this?
Thanks
Alison
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Alison. Reason: update

• Alison
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #49345 by Alison
Just so I am sure I am getting this right as adding new user groups is new to me.

I have created my 'member' user group with 'Registered' as it's parent

Is that correct?

Some things are not working as i would like so thought I would check.
Thanks
Alison

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #49350 by Ari
OK, so there's a difference between "Access Level" and "User Group" in Joomla.
See here for explanation
Also, Tuan has an explanation here
Groups are for what users can DO (eg edit, delete, etc). Access Levels are for what users can SEE (eg see menu items, modules, etc).
Essentially, you'll need to make a "g_member" group, and also a "al_member" access level and assign the g_member group to the al_member access level. You can then set the view permissions for articles to the al_member access level. When you (or Membership Pro) adds users to the g_member group, they'll see all the stuff that is restricted to the al_member access level. Note that if you set al_member as a child to registered, then al_member will also be able to see content restricted to registered, but not vice-versa.
Does that clear it up?
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Ari.

• Alison
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #49351 by Alison
Thanks Ari

It does clear up my query, but not my issue :(
I have set it up as you described, however, I am having problems with modules not showing to the user groups they are assigned.
I will go to bed now (as it is way past midnight) and have another look tomorrow.
Thank you so much for your time
Alison

More
9 years 8 months ago #49353 by Ari
when you are testing groups and access levels, you need to be sure to log out your testing user then log them back in after the changes are made. (this allows joomla to recalculate the user's permissions)
But this is more of a joomla issue than a membership pro issue?