• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 5 months ago #21730 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
How to restrict access to Menu Items, Modules was created by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi all

I answered this question via support ticket. However, I think many of you have the same questions, so I post the solution here :

Since we are now using Joomla 2.5, we can use a simpler solution to restrict access to Menu items and modules. Please follow the instructions below :

1. Create a new Joomla Groups called Subscribers.

2. Create a new access level called Subscribers, then choose Subscribers group for this access level.

3. Find and publish the OS Membership Groups plugin.

4. Edit subscription plan, setup it so that when users subscribe to this plan, they will be assigned to Subscribers group, when their subscription expired, they will be removed from Subscribers group.

5. Edit the modules, menu items you want to restrict access to Subscribers, set access property of that menu item/module to Subscribers. By doing that, only subscribers of the subscription plan can access to these menu items, modules...

Hope my explanation are clear to you. I am available if you have any other questions .

Tuan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #22216 by cltracey
Hi Tuan,

I'm not sure I understand. I have enabled all the plugins and assigned subscirbers to two groups... free trial and subscribers. In the article access drop down I only have public, registered and special. How do I enable articles to be seen only by one of these two groups?

...sorry just answered my own question! Users.... Access levels.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by cltracey.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 5 months ago #22217 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: How to restrict access to Menu Items, Modules
Hi Tracey

You will need to create a new access level and choose the two groups for that access level . Go to Users -> Access Levels -> Add new access level to add a new access level.

Then assign the article to the new access level and it will work as expected.

Does that help ?

Tuan

More
11 years 1 month ago #27605 by Bezworks
I believe screenshots would be very helpful. Some of this is confusing.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 1 month ago #27649 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: How to restrict access to Menu Items, Modules
Hi

if anyone finds that it is confusing, find free to contact me via Skype. My Skype nick name is tuanpnves and I will be happy to guide you directly

Tuan

More
10 years 11 months ago #31047 by Svein Audun Berg
Replied by Svein Audun Berg on topic Re: How to restrict access to Menu Items, Modules
Hi,

Would it also be possible to have a menu item not be accessible for the subscribers, but accessible for everyone else? In my case, this would be a Register menu item, that I would like to remove for users who are already registered.

Thanks!

Svein

More
10 years 8 months ago #35079 by Jurček Tomažič
Replied by Jurček Tomažič on topic Re: How to restrict access to Menu Items, Modules
Well for me its not working either. And all set up as said.

And module not shown on frontpage. If i remove users active subscription and manually add user to the selected group then he can see the module...

More
10 years 8 months ago #35109 by Ben
Hi All, can someone explain the dis/advantages of using this Menu method to restrict access. For me there seems to be a value to showing people a menu that they cant access so they get a feel of whats 'under the hood', but whats the disadvantage over using say the joomla ACL?

Thanks, Ben