Provide ability to specify Start Date for memberships

• David Unwin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #150952 by David Unwin
With the latest version of Membership Pro you can specify membership length from years down to hours.
However, the start date and time is always set to the date/time the user registers for a membership, so there is no way to set the membership to start in the future. We use Membership Pro in conjunction with Events Booking whereby members get either discounts or free entry to some of our events.
We would like to offer weekly or monthly memberships which people could take out to get discounts / free entry into our event for a particular week/month
Therefore, we like the option for the user to be able to set the start date for their membership. Also, another option that allows administrators to set a start date for a particular plan.
I believe many other Membership Pro customers would like this particularly if they use Events Booking as well.

The following user(s) said Thank You: LMKweb, StreetSportService

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #151002 by Alex P
I think this is must-have feature. MP has Expired date, but not the Start date. Useful in cases when you have year long subscription which should be active on January 1,  as an example.
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Alex P.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #151022 by Jonathan Colls
Replied by Jonathan Colls on topic Provide ability to specify Start Date for memberships
This feature would be an excellent addition.

For online services it would useful for the the start date/time to trigger the Joomla Group change at that time, thus allowing extra services/permissions to start from a future date/time.

More
2 years 6 days ago #151187 by Ahmad Arshad
I concur. This is a feature that could be useful for me as well. I am running a teaching site which has specified start dates

More
1 year 11 months ago #151369 by LMKweb
I agree! Was just coming into the forum to see if anyone asked about this. I'm setting up a new subscription that runs just two months with specific start and end dates, but we want to encourage people to sign up early; however that means the subscription starts and ends early.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 11 months ago #151380 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Provide ability to specify Start Date for memberships
For those who is looking for this feature, do you need this for onetime subscription or recurring subscription? I'm afraid of it would be difficult to handle this for recurring subscription

Also, what happens when someone renews his subscription? Should he have to choose the date again?

Many things we need to think about

Tuan

• David Unwin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 11 months ago #151389 by David Unwin
Speaking for my organisation. Our memberships are fixed ie 1st Jan 2022 to 31st Dec 2022  or  1st Apri 2022 to 30th Sep 2022
We do have recurring subscriptions so people can renew each year, so people can renew their subscription to go from 1st Jan 2023 to 31st Dec 2023.
However, if recurring subscriptions are a problem for this change, we could easily just set up set of subscriptions, whereby people just buy a new one rather than renewing so something like.
1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022
1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023
etc.
Kind regards
David

More
1 year 11 months ago #151390 by Jonathan Colls
Replied by Jonathan Colls on topic Provide ability to specify Start Date for memberships
For me, I see this as a one time subscription so no recurring payments needed.

If they want to subscribe another time in the future then it would be treated as a new separate subscription.

More
1 year 11 months ago #151391 by Ahmad Arshad
1. I think one time subscription works.
2. If people renew, maybe the original end date becomes the new start date?

More
1 year 11 months ago #151402 by LMKweb
For my use case, none of the subscriptions are recurring. Everyone already signs up again each term. So the set start & expire date would work great.