European Cookie law

• ruud68
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #18947 by ruud68
European Cookie law was created by ruud68
Hi,

in Europe we have a new cookie law: in the Netherlands we must implement the law which states that cookies may NOT be set without approval from users (opt-in).

I have implemented a plugin to handle this: this plugin blocks by default all cookies until the users chooses to accept them.

I was 'unpleasantly' surprised to learn that blocking cookies breaks the registration for an event: the user fills in the registration form and clicks [ proceed] > he returns to the previous page instead of to the confirmation page.... as you can understand this leads to a lot of confusion: 'did I register or not????'

I even had people show up to an event for whom I did not have a registration: they claimed that they had registered :(

Is it possible to check if cookies can be set before displaying the registration form?
Is it possible to enable content plugins on the registration form (ie to load a module)?

Hope this makes sence, really looking forward to a fix for this as this is really annoying :(

If you have any questions or need additional explanation do not hesitate to contact me,

regards,
Ruud.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #19227 by son123
Replied by son123 on topic Re: European Cookie law
Hi Ruud.
We have a simular law here in the uk. Here the only cookies which do not apply are required cookies. For example ones which are used to keep people logined in to a private area or those required to complete payment process. As I will be using eventbookings soon and am hoping not to block this cookie based on it being 'required'.

I've recently used a the cookie monster component & plugin - which would give me this level of control.
Not sure if it would be helpful to you. But just a thought...
Sonia

• ruud68
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #19336 by ruud68
Replied by ruud68 on topic Re: European Cookie law
Hi Sonia,

thanks for your reply. I will contact the cookie plugin author to see if it is possible to just block these pages or at least give an explicit warning.

regards,
Ruud.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc