Membership Plans - Upgrade Options to other plans

• Chris Jarvis
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
1 year 3 months ago #155951 by Chris Jarvis
Hello all
My brain is hurting today and I cannot work this one out sorry.
I have only just noticed that now when a member upgrades from one plan to a new plan (instead of renewing their existing plan) their existing plan expires at the time they upgraded and any time left on that plan goes over to their new plan.

For example if my current plan is called Renewing Individual Member - I have set Upgrade Options of Renewing Student Plan and also Renewing International Subscriber Plan.
These both say Prorated: By Time in the drop down box.

I always want my members to see out their existing plan in full and have their new choice become their active plan when the date for their current plan expires and their new upgrade option begins immediately after their current plan ends. All my plans are for 1 year from when they sign up or from when their existing one expires, they get a year added on to the end date - everything works great

Do I need to set my Upgrade Options Plans to be Prorated: Keep Duration?

I just can't read this properly without it confusing me sorry - I'm being so dumb today

I have used Membership Pro for a while now and have never noticed this behaviour as not many people upgrade their plans - they tend to just renew

I am sure previously that if members upgraded then they had 2 active plans running until their original date expired

I would like this:

If Mr Smith has current Individual Membership running until 31/01/2023 but they upgrade today (24/01/2023) to a Renewing Student Member plan then this happens

Mr Smith - Individual Membership - Expires 31/01/2023 - Active
Mr Smith - Renewing Student Member - Expires 31/03/2024 - Active

If anyone could please advise me which Prorated settings I need to get this working again I can change all my plans - I am reading too much into the options I think and can't work out which one to choose

The options are:
No
By Time
By Price
Keep Duration
Keep Duration, Price prorated from Original Plan
Keep Duration, Price prorated from Upgrade Plan

Why can't I work this out?

Thank you kind community people

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #155956 by Alan Bennett
Replied by Alan Bennett on topic Membership Plans - Upgrade Options to other plans
Hi Chris
I have a similar requirement and the crux of the matter is that what you need isn't an upgrade in in MP terms. It is actually the taking out of a different type of subscription when the existing one expires.

If they take out the new subscription whilst the existing one is active then the start date will be the day they take it out, not the end of the active one.

I deal with this by advising them not to take out the new one until the old one has expired. This then works even if they want a downgrade in subscription type, e.g. we have a subscription with a digital journal and ones with printed journals that members change between.

The alternative is to allow them to join the new type at any time and either:
- admin to edit the start and end dates of the subscription manually
- add some php to the subscription plan to check for active subscriptions when the new plan is taken out and adjust the dates accordingly

Hope this helps
Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.