Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site

• David Unwin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 months ago #154888 by David Unwin
We are moving our site from Joomla 3.10 to Joomla 4.
Due to the nature of and issues with our site we are creating a new Site under Joomla 4 rather than upgrading the existing site.
We want to see all subscription history on new Joomla 4 site
To get our members on the new site we propose to do the following.
Step 1 Set up existing Subscription plans in our Joomla 3 exactly the same in our Joomla 4 site
Step 2.Export all Joomla registered users (MP members and non members) from the Joomla 3 site
Step 3 Export all Subscriptions(including expired)from the Joomla 3 site
Step 4 Import all users from Step 2  into Joomla 4 site
Step 5 import all subscriptions in Step 3 into Joomla 4 site

We think(??????)  that is all we have to do. There will not be any new registrations , memberships or renewals during the process.

So my questions are?
Q1. Is the way we are doing this correct?
Q2 Will the import process in Step 5 link all subscriptions to the right user so they can see all their subscriptions as before?
Kind regards
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #154895 by John Willems
Replied by John Willems on topic Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site
I just went through this after a failed upgrade of Joomla 3 to Joomla 4.
  • Setting up the new Joomla 4 site I found was the best option. I also found installing Membership Pro and setting it as completely as possible is a good idea. This include payments processes, emails & messages, etc.
  • You will end up with a new database that works with Joomla 4
  • Make certain you PHP version is correct for Joomla 4. It requires a most recent version.
  • When setting up your plans plans pay attention to the plan_id's. It is important they match your current system.
  • Don't forget your Joomla groups. Make sure they all match.
  • Finally you can move your subscriber data to the new database.
  • Test it.

What I found is there are dozens of settings through the system (Joomla & Membership Pro). Its easy to miss something.

I hope some of this is useful
John W.

More
1 year 4 months ago #154898 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site
I don't think you need to setup plans before doing the migration. All you need to do is described in this documentation membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/gettin...e-site-to-a-new-site

So I would export and import data via phpmyadmin

I am unsure if setup new plans is a good idea. The reasons is because the ID of the plans on new site could be different with ID of the plans on old site, so the data could be mis-match

Better uses the steps mentioned in documentation

Regards,

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Unwin

• David Unwin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 months ago #154903 by David Unwin
Replied by David Unwin on topic Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site
Hi Tuan,
Thanks for the additional information you provided.

Step 1 - We are going to use a Joomla Extension from Ukr Solutions  extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/244262/ to do the export and import. The reason for this is that we have a lot of old users registered on tour existing web site who have not visited the site for more than 2 years, so we don't want to transfer those to the new site. This extension allows us to just transfer the ones we want
Step 2. 
A couple of questions
1) Should we not run this step (export and import users) before we do Step 1 (export import OS Membership tables) so that we have the user records and tables in the new data base before we import the OS Membership ones?
2) should we ensure that OS Membership on both sites are at the same maintenance level?

More
1 year 4 months ago #154905 by John Willems
Replied by John Willems on topic Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site
Do as Tuan suggests. My site was badly corrupted by the failed Joomla update. It was all bad; database structures, etc. Nothing worked after that. Even Akeeba Backup and Restore failed.

None of my issues though were related to Membership Pro.

More
1 year 4 months ago #154916 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site
Hello David

For your questions :

1. If you use a third party extensions to migrate users, then you do not have to step #2 mentioned in our documentation. You can migrate users data before or after membership pro data, that's not really important

2. I don't understand your question about maintenance level. But of course, both the sites should run the same (latest version) of Membership Pro

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Unwin

• David Unwin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 4 months ago #154925 by David Unwin
Replied by David Unwin on topic Migrate Membership Pro Subscriptions to a new Site
Hi Tuan,
Thanks for clarification.
Re Q2- Yes I meant Version !
Kind regards
David