Cannot create an user with an email previously used

• Avi Rokkhit
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #135825 by Avi Rokkhit
Hi,
I created a subscription with a specific email address for testing purposes and deleted it later.
When I try a create another subscription (again for testing purpose) with the same email address as above, Membership Pro produces the following error message:
"This email has been used by a different user. Please enter a new email"
and the subscription cannot be created.
The above message is not true as there are no users in the system with that email address.
Of course, I've cleared cache and all.

Please advise.
Rokkhit.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Avi Rokkhit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #135826 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Cannot create an user with an email previously used
Hi Avi
Just seen your post as I was reading through the forum. Sorry if I am mis-understanding you but Joomla may have created a user account with your first email address in test too. Please check in Joomla users to see if that is it. You can either delete that test Joomla user and you should be good or you can add a new test subscription to that user in Membership Pro.
Apologies if this is not what you meant
All the best
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avi Rokkhit

• Avi Rokkhit
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #135827 by Avi Rokkhit
Replied by Avi Rokkhit on topic Cannot create an user with an email previously used
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your suggestion.
You are spot on!
Membership Pro creates a Joomla! user with each subscription.
I assumed that it will remove the created user when a subscription (subscriber) is deleted from the backend.
However, it does not do so.
This can be a maintenance nightmare.
Sorry for raising another question, but do you know how to work around this issue?
Moreover, is there an option on the user's side to unsubscribe?

Best regards,
Rokkhit.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #135828 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Cannot create an user with an email previously used
Hi Avi
Glad that was what it was and you found it.
Having worked with Membership Pro for a few years now I am really pleased that deleting a subscription doesn't also delete the Joomla user at the same time. We have a few subscriptions renewed in error by our members or when they have chosen a membership plan they didn't want etc. It is really good that we can delete these subscriptions when needed but the User themselves remain and keep all their other subscriptions and history.

I get what you are saying starting out on testing but as you get going with it you might also find this is a really good feature. We have members who have renewed with us every year for many years now and sometimes mistakes are made where we need to delete a subscription but would lose all years and their joomla details and their access to our website if it also deleted their Joomla user account too.

This would be a bigger maintenance nightmare for us for sure.

Hopefully Tuan checks in our conversation as he knows so much and is superb at suggesting what is best for you.

I have attached an image though that if you click on Membership Pro and then choose the Configuration option, you will see lots of brilliant switches that you can apply as 'on' or 'off' toggle options that can really fine tune what you want to happen with subscriptions.

The image shows an option where if you delete a Joomla user it can delete all their subscriptions in Membership pro to keep that clean but I wouldn't recommend deleting a Joomla user account in full purely because you need to delete 1 subscription in Membership Pro for so many other reasons

Tuan and JoomDonation have some brilliant extensions that all work together with each other. We use their event booking extension too for our courses and events.

For example if someone creates a Joomla user account through this by booking on to an event with us, we can then use that same joomla account to give them a membership pro subscription when they pass a course and everything is managed as one.

You can also allow page and article access restrictions in your website to set access levels that they get through registering for an event or getting membership.

If we deleted 1 subscription in our website and it deleted the joomla user too, we would lose all that information from the user and nothing would work. Any shop orders placed through the eshop would go wrong too and this is only thinking of JoomDonation extensions.

I have others that work with the Joomla user account too.

Sorry for the long email but I really love that deleting 1 subscription doesn't delete my Joomla user too as I need that control over my users for so many other extensions and data I keep.

The guys at JoomDonation are so smart and so kind that they need to try and think of everything from their extensions without trashing work done by other developers on other websites.

This for me is what makes Tuan and his team so good and you find how good their extensions are the more you use them with other extensions

All the best on your website journey and you are off to a good start with membership pro I reckon

Chris
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Chris Jarvis.

• Avi Rokkhit
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #135829 by Avi Rokkhit
Replied by Avi Rokkhit on topic Cannot create an user with an email previously used
Hi Chris,
Thanks for this valuable insight into this extension.
It can only be expected from a long-time user like you.
Now I can understand the logic behind this.

In the case where a user unsubscribed once and he wants to subscribe again with the same mail address, he will be blocked for having the same mail address. How do you suggest me to deal with such a scenario?

Besides, is there an option somewhere to unsubscribe?

Best regards,
Avi

More
3 years 9 months ago #135832 by Chris Jarvis
Yep
So membership Pro can have many subscriptions for 1 email address but you can't have more than one subscriber/joomla user with the same email address. Sometimes people forget they have created a user account with you before and some just come along and create a new one if they have got a new email address at some point since they last subscribed to you.

If they have the same email as last time and they try to sign up with a new account again with it - hopefully the message they see reminds them they have been with you before - HOPEFULLY but some people you know....... :)

What's brilliant about Membership Pro is you can change any of Tuan's standard messages to your own words too. So anytime you see a message from Membership Pro - if you don't like the words, you can change them.

Click Membership Pro and then look for Translations as a menu choice. In there you will see ALL the messages and warnings available. If you search for any words in one you have seen, you will find it.

So type in the search "This email has been used by a different user. Please enter a new email". You can then change the wording to read something like "We already have this email address in our record. Have you been a member with us before?"

Anything you like really. I find this works really well for us. I'm not sure what you mean by somewhere to unsubscribe sorry but hope that helps.

More
3 years 9 months ago #135839 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Cannot create an user with an email previously used
Hello

For your case, I would suggest you to go to Membership Pro -> Configuration, set Show Login Box On Subscription Page config option to Yes

When you do that, if someone has existing account, he can login on subscription form before continue subscription process

Try that and let me know if it solves your concern

Regards,

Tuan

PS : Thanks Chris for helping us answering the questions

• Avi Rokkhit
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #135845 by Avi Rokkhit
Hi Tuan,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll do some testing on it and let you know if there is something else I want to inquire about this.

Best regards,
Avi

• Avi Rokkhit
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago #135846 by Avi Rokkhit
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the great suggestion.
I can now understand how to draw my users' attention in the right direction.
I always try to make my User Interface as simple and straightforward as is possible.

I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind when configuring the message and the interface.

Best regards,
Avi

More
3 years 9 months ago #135856 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Cannot create an user with an email previously used
OK Avi. Please continue setting up the extension. If you have questions or need help, please don't hesitate to ask us

Tuan