How to cancel a Membership?

More
9 years 1 month ago #59543 by Roma
How to cancel a Membership? was created by Roma
Since this is the first time I ever used a membership component, I don't know how a subscriber would go by cancelling his/her membership. Questions for you!

1 - Do they have to initiate the cancellation process themselves through PayPal, and if so, what are the steps of doing so because possibly a subscriber might not know how to go and cancel his/her subscription.
2 - How will I know that a subscriber has cancelled his/her membership if they do it through their PayPal account?
3 - What happens after the subscribers cancels his/her membership on PayPal
4 - Will I have to change the membership status myself for the user

I would greatly appreciate an answer because the site is ready to go LIVe and the only thing that is holding it is this 'Cancellation' step/process/feature.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #59553 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic How to cancel a Membership?
Hi Roma

1=> Yes. Users will need to cancel their recurring subscription through Paypal. So Yes, they will have to login to their Paypal account to cancel recurring subcription

2=> Right now, when subscribers cancel subscription, the system doesn't send notification to admin. So you don't know about it, the only thing you will be noticed is that you won't see subscription of that user extended anymore (no more renewal). It would be nice if the extension notify admin, but it is not supported for now, something for future releases.

3=> When he cancel

- His subscription will not be ended immediately. It will still being active until his last subscription expired
4=> You don't have to change it. The extension monitor it itself and do all necessary steps

Hope the answers are clear to you

Tuan

More
9 years 1 month ago #59585 by Roma
Replied by Roma on topic How to cancel a Membership?
:cheer: Yes they are and I found a temporary work around till you implement the cancellation features in the future (hopefully, a very near future). Now, because I want to make it seamless for the subscribers to cancel their subscription, I don't want to tell subscribers that, in order to cancel, they will have to do it themselves within their PayPal Account. I need to do it for them (Hopefully, this process will be temporary till you release a new version with this feature).

1 - I decided to create a 'cancellation form' that is only available to subscribers and maybe locate it under their profile
2 - When Subscribers wants to cancel (but I hope not), he would click on a Cancel button where he/she will be directed to the 'Cancellation Form'
3 - The cancellation form will capture the information needed for me to know about the subscriber who wants to cancel
4- Once the cancellation form has been submitted, user will be directed to a 'cancellation' page that can only be viewed by subscribers. The page will have the appropriate verbiage stating that the cancellation will be processed within 24hrs.
5 - I will login into my PayPal account, go to the 'Recurring Payment Dashboard' and cancel the recurring payment for the appropriate subscriber using the information I have collected from the 'cancellation form'

I already spoke to PayPal and they told me that, once I cancel the recurring payment for a subscriber, the subscriber and I will receive a notification email about their cancellation.

I had to recommend my Client this temporary solution instead of having her choose another component (and we even purchased the 'PayPal Pro' plugin which was installed and configured successfully) because, after looking at other component, yours was the most easy to setup and the most intuitive. And I have already purchased your Eshop component for another Client of mine and I also like it.

I hope the above temporary work around will be good to other Membership Pro owners.

Roma from SimplerWebs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Kock

More
5 years 6 months ago #118423 by Bloc10
Replied by Bloc10 on topic How to cancel a Membership?
Is this really how complex it is for users to cancel? how do we cancel in the backend?

More
5 years 6 months ago #118433 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello

1. Depends on the payment gateway you are using, subscribers can cancel their recurring subscription, see membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/subscr...curring-subscription

2. Admin can also cancel recurring subscription from backend, too, if you are using Stripe. you can also cancelling recurring subscription from administrator area of your site

Regards,

Tuan

More
5 years 6 months ago #118463 by Bloc10
Replied by Bloc10 on topic How to cancel a Membership?
How to cancel in the admin of Membership Pro? Can we offer a coupon in the admin for 3 months free ? and then it will continue billing? can we add this feature?

More
5 years 6 months ago #118477 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

1. What payment gateway you are using? If you are using Stripe, you can go to Membership Pro -> Subscriptions, click on the subscription record to edit. On that screen, you will see Cancel Subscription button to allow cancelling the recurring subscription. If you are using other payment gateways, then it's not possible

2. Unfortunately, we don't have a way to have a coupon like that. Also, recurring subscription could not be added from backend. If someone wants to subscribe, he needs to subscribe from frontend of your site for a recurring subscription

Tuan

More
1 year 2 months ago #156111 by Matt
Replied by Matt on topic How to cancel a Membership?
Hi, Tuan,
I know this is an old thread, but it's what came up when I searched for how to cancel a renewing subscription.

I do use Stripe, but I do not see a Cancel Subscription button there. Is there now another way to cancel from the backend?

Thanks

More
1 year 2 months ago #156114 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Matt

You would only see Cancel button if you have a valid subscription with Stripe. For example, if you just create a subscription record from backend for your account, no actual subscription registered with Stripe, then you would not see the Cancel Subscription button

So only subscribers who has real subscriptions will see that button

Regards,

Tuan

More
1 year 2 months ago #156129 by Matt
Replied by Matt on topic How to cancel a Membership?
No, this is a customer who has a subscription, is getting notices that it is about to auto-renew, and I'd like to be able to cancel it for her on the backend. But there's no button there that I can see.

Thanks,
Matt