Admin access to member login

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #110798 by intouchweb
Admin access to member login was created by intouchweb
It would be great if a Super Admin could be able to login to the frontend as a member for troubleshooting purposes or to confirm correct configuration, seeing what the member would see upon login eg renewal/upgrade options. Is this possible or is it a restriction in Joomla?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #115645 by Chris Jarvis
Replied by Chris Jarvis on topic Admin access to member login
Hi

I think the problem would be there are so many possible configurations for our users having different content access than other users that a Super Admin wouldn't know what any particular 1 user might have access too when first logged in.

I get around this by having a 'dummy' user account that I change the joomla access right 'ticks' for depending on which user I want to login and view for troubleshooting.

Some of our members get different resource or page access depending on their subscription plans or info we have for them.

If one person contacts me saying they can't access something they need or expect, I login to the back end to check their access right permission then set my dummy user to exactly the same permissions.

I then login the front end of my website as the dummy user so I can see what they see and help them from there.

When another person contacts me, I check their permissions and change the dummy users to them. I can usually work out if they are missing a permission on our side or that they are no longer entitled to access they once had.

Hope this makes sense and might it work for you?

Apologies if I have misunderstood your idea

Chris

• intouchweb
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #115648 by intouchweb
Replied by intouchweb on topic Admin access to member login
Thank you for the suggestions Chris, appreciate you taking the time.

Yes I also work like this, ie creating dummy accounts whenever required and replicating the user's access rights and memberships etc. However this can get very complex when they have multiple memberships and/or expiry dates. Joomla access levels can easily be replicated, but replicating everything including membership history etc (for example to test configs eg whether the member is offered the appropriate upgrades or other plans depending on their status) becomes very complex.

Nothing would beat being able to instantly login as that person and being able to see what they see immediately rather than trying to replicate their exact history and situation. This should be an access right of a Super Administrator in my opinion. At this point we have to imagine what users are seeing based on the config settings we set, difficult to confirm the config is working as intended for all membership situations. A simple login as various members would be instant confirmation of settings, and also would be invaluable for troubleshooting if someone calls with an issue... I hope that make sense?
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by intouchweb.

More
5 years 9 months ago #115662 by Stephen
Replied by Stephen on topic Admin access to member login
Hi All

Perhaps this plugin could help a little EUL-Easy User Login

If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem can not be solved, worrying will do you no good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: intouchweb