** URGENT ** : over bookings not caught by system

• Rich Starkie
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #103372 by Rich Starkie
Hi Tuan & Team

*** EXTREMELY URGENT *** I'm sorry to flag this in this way, but this is client affecting on a live site

I have a site running that released a small number of tickets for an event last night, but was immediately over-subscribed by parents booking at pretty much the same time - when the payment authorisations came back there were too many tickets sold

Also can you please confirm that the available places are checked when the pay/checkout button is pressed before any transaction in sent to payment processor

Can you please advise how we can eliminate this happening again.

1 suggestion that has been made is that when the pay button is pressed, the place is booked, and confirmed until the payment notification is received and at that tine, the booking is either confirmed or released.

Please advise - I have to write a report on how this happened and how it will be prevented in the next couple of hours (the fix may take longer I know, but the client need a response from me)
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Rich Starkie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #103373 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic ** URGENT ** : over bookings not caught by system
Hi Rich

I am sorry but this is quite hard to fix. Right now, the system only check capacity:

1. A registrants is only counted as registrants in the system and affect total amount after payment confirmed, not right after registrants press register button

2. So in case booking made almost at the same time, we could not control it yet and it is hard to implement something like that

If this is something happen so often, I am afraid of you might have to use a third party booking system like www.eventbrite.com/ to handle booking. Right now, I am afraid of no Joomla extensions can handle it properly

Regards,

Tuan

More
6 years 6 months ago #103376 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic ** URGENT ** : over bookings not caught by system
Maybe before saving registration to database, we can perform the check which include the records which has not made paymenet yet? That would help prevent the issue, too

Exactly what payment method you are using? Could you send me the link to registration page?

Tuan

• Rich Starkie
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #103377 by Rich Starkie
Replied by Rich Starkie on topic ** URGENT ** : over bookings not caught by system
Yes I can, but privately, not in a ticket, can you please advise a suitable email address?

Stripe and Paypal for payments
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Rich Starkie.

• Rich Starkie
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #103378 by Rich Starkie
Replied by Rich Starkie on topic ** URGENT ** : over bookings not caught by system
MOVED THIS TO A SUPPORT TICKET

More
6 years 6 months ago #103406 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

So I think I have a workaround for this problem. It is not perfect, but it could help prevent this issue from happening (100%)

Basically, I have a version which added a new config option called Over Booking control times.You can select 0 (by default), 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 minutes

If you set it to 3 minutes for example, the system will count the registrations which use online payment method such as PayPal during the last 3 minutes - but not complete payment yet - as registrants in the system

That would help prevent over booking. I think set it to 2 minutes should be OK

If you want to use that version, send me an email to tuanpn@joomdonation.com and I will send the version to you

Tuan

• Rich Starkie
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #103408 by Rich Starkie
email sent :)

can you please confirm this new module supports Stripe and PayPal?

Please also include install instructions :)

• Rich Starkie
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #103409 by Rich Starkie
also, one of the issues that we have noticed, is when a payment fails, the booking is left in RENDING status, is it possible to change this to CANCELLED status?

More
6 years 6 months ago #103412 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Rich

Yes. It works with any payment gateways you will be using. And for your second question, no, we could not change that status. Cancelled status is used for something different (users registered for the event, then later, decide to cancel the registration for some reasons), so for now, we just leave it to Pending

Regards,

Tuan

More
6 years 6 months ago #103413 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
I want to explain more about Over Booking control time parameter. In the email, you asked if it is possible to change it to 10, I don't think you should set it to that max number as it might cause you loose some bookings

Let's say if I went to your site, try to use PayPal payment method for making the registration, I register for 2 members for example but when I am being redirected to PayPal, I don't make payment (mean I don't actual register for that registration)

If you set it to 10 minutes for example, assume that only have 2 slots left, the system think that the last 2 slots has been registered, so no space left and no one can register for that event anymore during that 10 minutes. So as I said, you should set it to 1 or 2 minutes. That should be enough time for someone to be redirected to PayPal and complete payment for the registration

Not sure if that's clear

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc