location sorting in Event Booking

• Mikkel Markvardsen
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #19961 by Mikkel Markvardsen
location sorting in Event Booking was created by Mikkel Markvardsen
Hello there
I would like to be able to sort the different events i have created after location.
We have the same event spread around the country and it would be really nice if your customers could see the events closest to them. Is there any way this can be done?

Best Regard
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #20198 by faramade
Replied by faramade on topic Re: location sorting in Event Booking
I have requested this same feature and I was told to forget it, it won't happen even when I offered to pay for it. Though I do not see how any event component will be missing this feature, I wish I knew before buying the component.

I agree that visitors should be able to search for events and see result closest to them.

The site should also be able to display events based on city,state or postal codes.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by faramade.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20199 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: location sorting in Event Booking
Hi

Could you please explain more detail about what you want ? The extension has a location module which allows you to view all events belong to a location. Doesn't it meet your need ?

Tuan

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #20203 by faramade
Yes it does allow to view event belonging in a location, this is only good for sites with 2 or three locations. But sites with tens or hundreds of location will not benefit from this because visitors will have to browse through hundreds of location before finding the right locations.

• What I am asking for is plugin or module that allow users to search location based on the address so that the result will show location result for a articular class based on the address and it can be arranged on from closest first. I believe a radius search will do this.
  • A module that can display events based on city, state and postal code and another custom field, will also solve this problem.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20205 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi faramade

I am sorry but to be honest, the features you are asking for are not available in Events Booking and to be honest, It has not been asked by many customers. It seems you will have to customize (or hire someone to customize) Events Booking for you in order to have this feature (BTW, do you know any Events Registration extension for Joomla have this feature) .

The easiest solution would be write an Events By Location search module. This module will allow users enter location data such as address, city, state, country... and when users enter the above solution and process search button, the system will display all the events which meets the search params.

If you are interested, you can contact me via Skype so that we can discuss more detail about. However, at the moment, I am busy migrating the extension to Joomla 3.0 and will be busy until the end of this week. So if it is possible, we can discuss more detail about it on Monday next week !

Regards,

Tuan

More
11 years 6 months ago #20208 by faramade
Yes I do, I just purchased it last week after I got your initial response but I didn't want to have to go through the change over to the new one but it seems that is what I have to do. I was just trying to save time. If you want I can post the name here or pm you the name. It actually does a lot than event booking but I have designed the whole site around event booking that is why I did not want to just change it.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #20210 by faramade
Yes I will like to discuss it on Monday. You can pm me your skype id, I don't know if that is possible.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20211 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
My Skype nick name is tuanpnves. Looking forward to discussing more detail with you on Monday. It is late for me here now (11pm), so we will talk on Monday !

Tuan

More
11 years 6 months ago #20212 by faramade
Monday is fine, what time is good for you.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20491 by gabree
Replied by gabree on topic Re: location sorting in Event Booking
Hi, I have similar request, as on most projects I usually need to display events by city.
events by city (ie "London") is far more easy to navigate than events by location or venue (ie: "Olympic Stadium"),
since people at first does not know (or does not care about) the name of location the event is held,
usually I see that visitors wants to know 1) which event is there 2) which city to go.
Or sometime the reverse (which city, then which event).
only after that, they also want to know the name of the location or venue and how to reach it.

so it would be a great idea to have a module to navigate through cities rather than a having a module to navigate through locations.

to solve this I have made a custom module, duplicating the existing location module, and changing the sql string.
and then modify also the way the location page works.
but I would like to keep your application as you made it, since I am not a developer :silly:

speaking about other extensions that do this, I think ohanah (by beyounic) does.
This is a great component, they're neare me in Ticino (CH),
But there is lot in your component that I like the most!

I would like to discuss a possible solution with you, if this is possible.

many thanks,
Gabriella
Attachments:

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc