All questions about EDocman extension

Permissions Not Being Applied Correctly

• DocAuto
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #37756 by DocAuto
I've searched the forums and can't seem to find a post concerning my issue.

I've set my user group permissions exactly how I want them all the way from the global site configuration to the document permissions. My huge problem is that when one category is denied access to a document it seems to deny access to any user in that category regardless of the other categories that user is in that DO have access.

I'm specifically talking about download access in this instance and I will give you an example.

User Groups:

Evaluator: Downloads Accepted
Send Keys: Downloads Accepted

User is a member of all three groups however cannot download any document unless it is made available to the Registered group. Being accessible by the other two groups doesn't override it.

It seems that unless all groups that the user is in have access to download a document it will deny the download.

This is a fairly urgent matter so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 6 months ago #37783 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Permissions Not Being Applied Correctly
Hi

That's how Joomla ACL is designed to work. When you set a group to be Denied, all children groups will be denied as well. Could you please change the settings of Registered group to be Inherited and check it again ?

Tuan

• DocAuto
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #37787 by DocAuto
Replied by DocAuto on topic Re: Permissions Not Being Applied Correctly
I understand that but these aren't child groups. They are three separate groups all nesting under "Public."

I've kept all settings on inherited until the specific category level and then Denied downloads of specific guides to the Registered user group. Downloading these guides requires users to be in either an Evaluator or Send Keys group or both. However if a user is a member of all three groups and one group is denied downloads then the user cannot download the documents regardless of the permissions allowed by the other groups.

I apologize if this is a Joomla issue and nothing to do with Edocman. Trust me, I am reading all of their documentation as well but I am still stuck at the moment.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 6 months ago #37791 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

The problem is that why don't you change settings for Registered Group to be inheritted as I said ? Any reason prevent you from doing that ? Maybe you can explain exactly what you want to do, then submit a support ticket giving me super admin account of your site so that I can try to setup it for you ?

Tuan

• DocAuto
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #37794 by DocAuto
Here are a few more details

There is one parent category:

Resources
- Evaluator: Downloads Allowed
- Send Keys: Downloads Allowed

The sub-category Application Files inherits from Resources however requires different settings so not all settings can be inherited
- Evaluator: Downloads Allowed
- Send Keys: Downloads Allowed

A user cannot be Send Keys or Evaluator without also being Registered. So, the problem is a user in multiple groups cannot download the Application File unless all groups have access. The only time I have had success downloading a file was when ALL THREE groups had access to it. The settings are correct, so I believe I'm being denied access to the download based on one user group that I am included in not having the appropriate access.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 6 months ago #37796 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

The idea is that you cannot have Registered group to be denied, otherwise, you cannot download documents. Here are more questions :

1. Do you have any documents assigned directly to Resources category? If not, then I think you can setup permission for that categoy for all the three groups to be Inherited.

2. Then on the sub - categories, you can set :

- Evaluator : Allowed
-Send Keys : Allowed

By doing that, only users from Evaluator and Send Keys groups an download documents from these sub-categories, users from normal registered group could not download !

Tuan

• DocAuto
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #37797 by DocAuto
Holy Cow!!!! I think it worked.

So far so good. I will make sure all categories and documents are working correctly and post again.

Tuan, thank you so much. I realize this was not an issue with your product and you still provided incredible support. I can't thank you enough.

• DocAuto
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #37799 by DocAuto
Checked all categories and your method fixed everything! Thank you so much.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 6 months ago #37806 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hehe, That's great. If you have few minutes, please help me by giving EDocman a 5 stars rating and a nice review at extensions.joomla.org/extensions/directo...tion/downloads/18008 to support my development :).

Tuan

Moderators: Mr. Dam