Some questions

• Pierre
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #19029 by Pierre
Some questions was created by Pierre
Hi there,

I'm new to eDocman 1.1.0 and have a couple of questions:

- Is there a way for a single document to belong to multiple categories ?
- How does the cart feature work ?
- What does 'Processing content plugin' mean in Configuration/General ?
- What are the Configuration/Fields used for ?

Thanks for your help,

Pierre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 7 months ago #19053 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Some questions
Dear Pierre

Is there a way for a single document to belong to multiple categories ?

=> Right now, it is not available in the extension. However, it is a nice feature and I will work on it in the near feature. So keep an eye on our site and you will have this feature available in less than two weeks from now !

- How does the cart feature work ?

=> This is a config option is for future release only. The idea is that it will allow users to put multiple documents to "cart" and download all as one. But it is not implemented yet.

What does 'Processing content plugin' mean in Configuration/General ?

=> If you set it to Yes, you will be able to use "Content Plugin" for Joomla in the description of document as if in Joomla article. For example, you can use a gallery plugin to insert a pictures gallery into a description of document...

What are the Configuration/Fields used for

=> This is also for future release. The idea is that it will allows you to collect downloader information like first name, last name,... when they download your documents. It is also a nice feature (some users will need it) but I haven't had a chance to implement it yet. There are still other higher priority features need to be implemented .

Hope my answers are clear to you. Nice questions by the way :).

Tuan

• Pierre
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #19062 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Re: Some questions
Dear Tuan,

Congratulations for your availability and responsiveness.

The near future seems promising regarding coming enhancements to eDocman :)

I will then wait for the cart and custom fields ;)

Adding the possibility to bind a single document to multiple categories is really a valuable feature.
In the same idea, managing tags would bring a new efficiency level to the search mechanism.
Tags differ from categories in the fact that they are closely relative to the content of the document, whereas categories are a more high level abstraction.
Ex: categories (User Manual, Technical Manual, Spare parts...) <=> tags (Body Type[convertible, sedan, suv...], Fuel Type[diesel, petrol...])

A menu item could be used to manage a list of families of tags (Body Type, Fuel Type, ...)
Another one could manage tags, family based.
The document edition would allow to select multiple tags by document.
Finally, the search module should present to the user a way to restrict the search realm by the selection of families/tags.

I know this is a huge work and needs to be thought deeply before coding anything.

By the way, is there a way to contribute to your work?

Best regards,
Pierre
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Pierre.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 7 months ago #19073 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Some questions
Thanks Pierre. The highest priority feature will be the ability to assign multiple documents into a category. The next one will be tags + rating feature. For the shopping cart and collect downloader information will be implemented later .

To support my development, if you have time, please spend few minutes to give EDocman a 5 stars rating and a nice review at extensions.joomla.org/extensions/directo...tion/downloads/18008 .

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Mr. Dam