All questions about EDocman extension

EDocman vs Docman - PreSales

• Zarathustra
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 days ago #15092 by Zarathustra
EDocman vs Docman - PreSales was created by Zarathustra
Greetings,

What is the difference between EDocman (JoomDonation) & Docman (JoomlaTools)?!?

I have already purchased Docman from JoomlaTools & have had endless issues trying to index PDF content.

Then I had to purchase OS PDF Index, which indexed the file content, but this broke the security of Docman (Joomla Tools).

I want to know that this is going to work before I buy it as I have spent too much time & money on components which don't work properly.

Basically, I need a product which manages vast amounts of files e.g. documents (in PDF format), which only allows content to be accessed by authorised groups & is able to search the PDF content, not the file name.

JiFile doesn't work with Docman as it also breaks the security by providing direct access to the uploaded file, so that wasn't an option either.

In addition, I would also like an e-mail to be sent to a registered user, say once a day, when relevant documents have been added. Kind of like a summary of new content.

I am running out of time & would definately buy this product it is guaranteed to work.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 days ago #15093 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: EDocman vs Docman - PreSales
Hi

First of all, EDocman and Docman are two different products (EDocman just use same css + layout with Docman). The main big difference between them is that EDocman use Joomla core ACL (1.6, 1.7, 2.5 ACL feature), therefore, the permission in EDocman is much more flexible than in Docman, I believe .

Back to your main purpose, right now, EDocman doesn't allow you to search on PDF content, too. However, a customer has worked on it, he shared the patch which can be found at joomdonation.com/index.php?option=com_ku...ew&catid=74&id=15038 . By using this patch, the PDF content will be stored in description field of Document, and it is searchable .

In the near future, I will work on a plugin which integrate EDocman with JiFile, and you won't have to worry about future upgrade .

Hope the answer give you some useful information .

Regards,

Tuan

• Zarathustra
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 6 days ago #15094 by Zarathustra
Replied by Zarathustra on topic Re: EDocman vs Docman - PreSales
Thanks for the quick response.

Is there a test version of EDocman that I try out before purchasing?!?

More
12 years 6 days ago #15095 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: EDocman vs Docman - PreSales
Unfortunately, the extension is Open Source, so we could not provide trial version .

Tuan

Moderators: Mr. Dam