Weight Based Shipping ~ problem & feature request

More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #162850 by Andy
I'm currently setting up weight based shipping costs in EShop.
I can see a bit of a problem with the way EShop currently handles the shipping costs.

I've been using X-Cart for some time, and it allows you to add a shipping cost per unit of weight (as well as other options, like flat fee, per item charge, % charge).
So you could set your product weight units as multiples of 100g (for example), and then the shipping charge would be set per unit of this weight.
The shipping charge for a Geo Zone would then be automatically calculated from the total weight in the cart, for a particular shipping method.

The way EShop works, you can only set ranges of weights, for example up to 0.5 Kg, 0.5-1 Kg., etc.
In some countries (like N.Z.), the shipping is calculated to the nearest 10g.
If you handle products with a wide range of weights, it means entering a LOT of rates for each Geo Zone, to cover all the range of weights.
If you don't do this, you will often get shipping charges that are too high or too low.

EShop would be greatly improved by allowing shipping to be handled in a simpler and more user-friendly way.
Another cart (J2Store) has a table rate shipping plugin, that allows complex shipping rules to be applied (example screenshot is attached).

Also, when shipping charges change (which is usually at least once a year), it's a lot quicker to just change the unit cost per weight, than having to manually go through all the Geo Zone entries and manually change all of the weight range figures.
It would be nice to see an overhaul of the shipping function (or a new plugin), that works better than the current method.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Andy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 months 5 days ago #162998 by Giang Dinh Truong
Replied by Giang Dinh Truong on topic Weight Based Shipping ~ problem & feature request
Hello Andy,

I have been helping you via ticket system. I think this can be done by using default weight shipping plugin and duplicated weight shipping plugins.

Please continuing to following up the ticket to get the solution there.

Sincerely, Giang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Giang Dinh Truong