Enable User Cancel Recurring Subscription

• Jeff Stone
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #149152 by Jeff Stone
Enable User Cancel Recurring Subscription was created by Jeff Stone
Right now there is the ability to Enable User Cancel Recurring Subscription only on the global level (main configuration) but what if I want to have some subscription plans that allow for cancelling a recurring subscription, and others that don't?
I want to have some plans that the user is "locked into" for a certain term with no option to cancel, and others that are a month-to-month recurring plan that will continue until the user cancels.
For example, I have plans that are one price (with 12 monthly recurring) for a 1-year term, another lower price (with 24 monthly recurring) for a 2-year term, and an even lower price (with 36 monthly recurring) for a 3-year term, obviously I don't want them to cancel if they sign up at the lowest price plan just to get that price for a shorter period... but I also have a monthly only plan that would renew each month - until they cancel. The idea is to get them to sign up for the 1, 2, or 3-year term plans, instead of the month-to-month plan, without the ability to cancel the yearly term plans, but allow them to be able to cancel their month to month plan.

I guess after all that explanation, what I am asking is is there any way we can have Enable User Cancel Recurring Subscription (No/Yes) on a plan level?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #149158 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Enable User Cancel Recurring Subscription
Hi Jeff

No, there is no option like that for each plan. And to be more clear, there is no way to actual force users to keep the subscription

They can always login to payment gateway (for example, PayPal) and cancel the recurring subscription from there

Tuan

• Jeff Stone
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #149166 by Jeff Stone
Replied by Jeff Stone on topic Enable User Cancel Recurring Subscription
Hi Tuan,

Yes, I understand that, but it would still be nice to be able to enable/disable that feature on a plan level...

cheers,

Jeff

More
2 years 3 months ago #149174 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Jeff

I will monitor customers request. If there are more customers need it, I will consider supporting it in the future.

For now, I think a global configuration should be enough for almost all customers

Regards,

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Stone

• Jeff Stone
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #149178 by Jeff Stone
Thanks...

I also had a question about the behavior of the Setup Fee on recurring plans: see here specifically that on the plan details page it clearly shows as Setup Fee, but then when you go to the subscription form it shows it as a Trial, and Trial Duration...

More
2 years 3 months ago #149188 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Jeff

While it is setup fee, technical, it's just trial duration and trial amount for recurring subscriptions

So I guess you can try to adjust the words to make it more clear for your own usage. Please note that all these strings are language items and could be changed in Membership Pro -> Translation section

Regards,

Tuan

• Jeff Stone
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #149199 by Jeff Stone
Hi Tuan,

Thanks for that explanation, and for the most part, that makes sense...

But, a setup fee is completely different from a trial price, and maybe the only way Membership Pro right now can charge for a setup fee on a recurring subscription is as a trial price - but could you make it that there is a check in place that sees there is a setup fee and uses different "Translation" fields? Modifying the Translation to change Trial to Setup would solve the problem, providing I was not going to have any Trials on any of the plans.

For example, I have a plan that would require a One-Time setup fee to install, configure, and set up a Joomla extension, plus the first year subscription price and a yearly subscription price after that, but if I have another plan that offers a one-month free trial, the "Translation" modification would not work for Trials anymore...

I see that the "Membership Pro ->Translation" is more or less just an inline editor for the en-GB.com_osmembership.ini (and others) language file?

I did find a sort-of workaround, by renaming Trial Duration Price to OSM_TRIAL_DURATION_PRICE="<B />Initial Price</b>" which sort of works in both Setup Fee and Trial situations.

I also noticed that you can ADD new "Translations" but how do you assign them to a page or plan detail, subscription form?

More
2 years 2 months ago #149212 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Things are more complicated than just that because Membership Pro has to handle many other different use-cases. For example, you have Monthly Subscription plan with price 100$, and someone use a coupon code which gives 50% discount for first payment

In this case, they will have to pay 50$ for the first month, and then 100$ every month after that. The first month payment is is also called Trial Amount . That's just one of the other cases

So we called it Trial Amount as general terms. You can change it to Initial Price and it works for your need. The change there will be kept when you update to future releases of the extension, so no need for adding new language item and then modify code to use that new language item (add new language item can be used when we customize code to add new features to certain websites which need new language items)

Hope my explanation is clear to you

Regards,

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Stone