Split Event into two dates

• marcodeluca
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 days ago - 13 years 5 days ago #9184 by marcodeluca
Split Event into two dates was created by marcodeluca
This will probably end up on the ideas board, just wanted to see if there were any thoughts on a workaround / hack / "a way to fake it" to accomplish the following:

I would like to have 1 event, with 1 registration process, for an event that occurs on two ( or more days ). So if I have an event that starts this saturday and carries on every saturday this month, I want someone to be able to register ONCE in a way that books them for each day this event "repeats" on.

Right now, you can book multiple events in one purchase - great. I just need a way to send multiple events to the cart with only 1 click, meaning registering for 1 event that occurs on 4 dates. The question is, do I think about this in terms of having 4 events that are linked so a person registers for them as 1 occurance, or do I think about this in terms of 1 event with 4 occurances?

Now the reason why I am thinking hack or workaround is that, initially I thought there might be away of modifying the repeat events to only allow booking on the parent event and to book all children events as well. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, once the events are created ( parent event spawns children events according to your settings ) the events don't seem to be related. There does not seem to be a way of connecting parent/child events.

So. Any thoughts on making this happen without hack / plugin? If not, my partner might consider an extension/modification, but that's always a bad way to go in terms of dealing with future releases.

Ideally, a parent would list it's children with a checkbox that says "include this in the registration process.
Last edit: 13 years 5 days ago by marcodeluca.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 days ago #9196 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Split Event into two dates
Hi marcodeluca

I understand what you want. Unfortunately, the extension is not flexible enough for you to do that without hacking the extension.

Right now, when you create recurring events, the parent-child events are unrelated. The only relationship between them is that the extension allows you to update basic information of children events when you edit the parent events (changed name, description, price.....).

For your need, I would suggest you :

1. Hack the extension to meet your need . As you see, there will be problem with future releases (there are many other nice features come from time to time, I promise) .

2. The other was is that you use custom fee fields feature :

- Just create an event .

- Create a custom fee field , type MultipleSelect to allow users to choose the dates of event which they want to attend and calculate fee based on their selection. See how custom fee fields work here, joomdonation.com/index.php?option=com_co...icle&id=80&Itemid=72 , How to use Fee Field feature in Event Booking

Hope this give you some tips !

Regards,

Tuan

• marcodeluca
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 days ago #9205 by marcodeluca
Replied by marcodeluca on topic Re: Split Event into two dates
Okay first I agree with you, hacking components is not a great solution.

The custom fields is a good idea. I just started using this component yesterday, so I probably would have figured that out - not because I know what I'm doing, but because your component is an example of great Joomla components that are easy to use and really help people build websites with great features at affordable prices.

Not that I like spending more money than I have to, but your component would be worth more than the 30 bucks or whatever. Especially if you implemented a few of the features requests... really a superior event booking system.

Thanks!

More
12 years 5 months ago #12622 by jeannettefh
Replied by jeannettefh on topic Re: Split Event into two dates
"I would like to have 1 event, with 1 registration process, for an event that occurs on two ( or more days ). So if I have an event that starts this saturday and carries on every saturday this month, I want someone to be able to register ONCE in a way that books them for each day this event "repeats" on."

The question above is exactly what I need also. I have set up a site for a program that offers language classes that last 10 weeks and it would be so awesome to be able to show all 10 weeks on the calendar under that one event, so when a user clicks on any one of the 10 days it would link them to the same class/fee/registration/event. I think this feature would definitely be worth more money too :-). Please consider adding it to a new version!!

Love your product and support!

Jeannette

More
12 years 5 months ago #12641 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
@Jeannette : Understand what you want now and will have support for this feature in the near future !

Tuan

More
12 years 4 months ago #12902 by zoolittles
Replied by zoolittles on topic Re: Split Event into two dates
Hello,

This is something that I need in this extension.
Is their any update on when this will be available?

Regards
Steven

More
12 years 4 months ago #12935 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Steven

Unfortunately, this feature has not been implemented yet (and to be honest, I won't implement it into the extension in the near future).

Regards,

Tuan

More
12 years 4 months ago #13079 by jeannettefh
Replied by jeannettefh on topic Re: Split Event into two dates
Tuan,

Sorry for my late reply, but thanks so much. I can't wait to see support for this feature soon! It will be a huge boost to our website. Do you have any idea when it will be supported?

Thanks!

Jeannette

More
12 years 3 months ago #13531 by ImdAn
Replied by ImdAn on topic Re: Split Event into two dates
admin wrote:

Unfortunately, this feature has not been implemented yet (and to be honest, I won't implement it into the extension in the near future).

My client has events that occur across multiple dates.
For example, a training course might be scheduled as follows:

10 week training course -- Monday Evenings (7.30 - 9.30pm)
16th April –> 2nd July (7th May Bank Hol, Half Term 4th June)
Price £150

-- 16 April [start]
-- 23 April
-- 30 April
-- 7 May [no class // bank holiday]
-- 14 May
-- 21 May
-- 28 May
-- 4 June [no class // half term]
-- 11 June
-- 18 June
-- 25 June
-- 2 July [end]

Ideally, I want to be able to specify a 'multi-part event', with a single fee / checkout.
In creating the multi-part event, I would define the number of 'parts' and set the date + times for each.
This feature doesn't appear to exist in the current build of EB, or have I missed something?

If it definitely won't be added in the near future, all suggestions for how to achieve the above appreciated!

More
12 years 3 months ago #13544 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

I am afraid of there is no good way to get your requirement done. I would suggest that :

1. You just create one single event as how EB works .

2. Using custom fee fields feature (use MultiSelect custom field in this case) to define the parts in the event and users can choose it during the registration. See joomdonation.com/index.php?option=com_co...icle&id=80&Itemid=72 , look at How to use Custom Fee Fields feature to understand how it works !

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc