SMS notifications

• Dave Augustyn
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #117250 by Dave Augustyn
SMS notifications was created by Dave Augustyn
Please consider possibility to integrate SMS notification system (along with email alerts). This will help for people working in the field with little access to email.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Dobbs, Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #118692 by Alison
Replied by Alison on topic SMS notifications
Yes, we are looking into this too, please consider
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Dobbs

More
5 years 4 months ago #119511 by Mark Evans
Replied by Mark Evans on topic SMS notifications
it's quite straight forward to do this using the override mechanism. I have already written this to do reminders. I have previously requested this function, but it was turned down as not enough people were interested, hence why I developed it myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles Dobbs

More
5 years 4 months ago #119658 by Charles Dobbs
Replied by Charles Dobbs on topic SMS notifications
I would like to know about your solution.

I just started using Civicrm with SMS notification using Twilio.

Thank you

More
5 years 3 months ago #120591 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic SMS notifications
This would be really helpful to me, people are travelling and not in their home country when booking events and sending an SMS as well as an email would be very useful.
Regards,
Andrew

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #120845 by LAC Webadmin
Replied by LAC Webadmin on topic SMS notifications
+1 on this feature. Preferably using SMS wholesalers with API like Nexmo
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by LAC Webadmin.

More
5 years 2 months ago #120889 by LAC Webadmin
Replied by LAC Webadmin on topic SMS notifications
Hi Mark,

Can you share with us your idea of how you did it? I have not explored events booking notification API yet but it would help a lot and save time knowing how you did it.

Thanks,

Jackson

More
5 years 2 months ago #120923 by Mark Evans
Replied by Mark Evans on topic SMS notifications
Hi Jackson,

Okay so to be honest, what I've done is quite simplistic, as I didn't want to break any of the existing functionality. In the long run though, there is an additional overhead because one needs to check to see if core code has been updated for each release.

If you check the documentation for Event Booking, there is helpful way provided by the team to override particular classes and methods. Methods of particular interest to me at least where reminders. I understand others are also interested in events such as registration.

I will provide an overview as to what I did for my override of the method sendReminder in the class EventbookingHelperMail. Follow the instructions in the developer section of the documentation, by placing the specific file containing just the class and method to override, placing the files in a folder called override under components/com_eventbooking/helper.

details are here -> eventbookingdoc.joomservices.com/develop...stomization-override

So all I did was add a specific line to the email reminder method, which is in the mail.php file. I only wanted to add SMS notification, and keep the existing emailing part. So I added a couple of lines of code to call my new interface within the existing logic, about around line 243. I don't use the featured event part in the extension, so I decided to use this as a flag so I had control per event whether or not I send SMS messages. See the snippet below:
Code:
// Send SMS if featured flag is set if($row->featured=="1") { $smscontent="Dear ".$row->first_name.". This is a reminder that you are signed up for ".$eventTitle." on ".date("d/m/Y @ g:ia",strtotime($row->event_date)).". See you there!"; EventbookingHelperSendSMS::sendSMS($row->mobile, $smscontent); }

So basically I have created a class and a new method called sendSMS. I have abstracted this so that if I change provider at anytime, I can change the API easily without having to change the core updated logic. I am currently using TextLocal, which has a very simple API and you can use curl to execute the requests. Also within the class, I create and write a log for all transactions.

Hope this helps,

Rgds,

scm7mae
The following user(s) said Thank You: OTWD

More
5 years 2 months ago #120952 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic SMS notifications
Could you repost this solution in the "Overrides" forum section? If I need this in the future, I probably wouldn't find it otherwise - haha. Others might not also.

More
3 years 8 months ago #136292 by OTWD
Replied by OTWD on topic SMS notifications
Nice solution Mark!,
I used Fabrik to pull Events into a separate table then used Fabriks Email/SMS plugin to send a SMS. This Email/SMS plugin integrates with Clickatell's legacy API.
My solution is not an automated SMS like yours but allows you to send an SMS to any / all registrants on an event - e.g if there was a cancellation etc.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc