Events Booking 2.5.0 released

More
7 years 9 months ago #83204 by Donal
Replied by Donal on topic Events Booking 2.5.0 released

Calum wrote:

Donal Lyne wrote: 3) What exactly is the Number Registrants field, i.e. I have 106 registrants who may need to receive a reminder on a certain day. Is there a negative to setting this number to 106 from 15?

This sounds like its the mail server throttling "thing". Many servers, particularly those on shared hosting, limit the amount of email a server can send per hour to control spam risks. Your host should be able to tell you what you are throttled to. If you increase the 15 to say 60 you will be done in 2 hours (provided your host allows that many emails!) - **BUT** beware - that will result in a loop of 60 emails to send before someone sees a page... 60 may be OK, 600 would maybe not be.

Hi Calum,

thanks for the wealth of information. One point I didn't quite understand was " **BUT** beware - that will result in a loop of 60 emails to send before someone sees a page", does this mean that when event booking needs to send out 60 emails in 1 go, the website stops delivering web pages until the emails are sent?

My host have the server throttled to 600 emails per hour.

Regards,
D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #83205 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Events Booking 2.5.0 released
What Calum was saying was that there might be a slight delay in displaying the webpage to your visitor as your server sends 60 emails as part of the page-request cycle. My guess is that the delay should not really be noticeable for the user at 60, but could become noticeable if the value was set really high.
You would just have to do a code-level test on your server to time how long it takes to send xx emails to know what kind of delay would be incurred (eg. write a php script to post start time to screen, loop 60 times over an email command to email yourself a bunch of emails, and post the end time to screen).

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by James Riley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal

More
7 years 9 months ago #83206 by Calum
Replied by Calum on topic Events Booking 2.5.0 released
What he said!

Lets assume it takes 10msec to send a single email. Sending 600 will take 6 seconds. So the user who browses your site and triggers the sending will experience a 6 second pause. If you reduce that to 40 or 60 emails they experience a half second delay. Far less likely to close the window and try another site.

I'm guessing what the time lag for mail() is and there are too many variables on sites to even guess. But setting it at 60 mails per hour would get you done in 2 hours. You just need to know that 60 mails doesn't slow down that one user for 30 seconds.

Incidentally any other user accessing the site immediately after that first user will experience no latency. They will not trigger the script.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donal