Which kind of PayPal API credentials do I need for PayPal?

• Mary Furr
  • Topic Author
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #166750 by Mary Furr
Does Membership Pro use REST API credentials for Membership Pro?  The documentation provides a link to instructions on how to create PayPal API credentials, but it doesn't specify which kind. I spoke to PayPal customer service trying to solve another issue, and my old NVP/SOA API credentials aren't showing. The service rep said that we should be using REST API credentials. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #166751 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Marry

Actually, all you need for now is entering your PayPal account into os_paypal payment plugin parameters. The API credentials is not needed for the system to work. It provides additional feature to allow users to cancel recurring payment on your site which you might not need it

Tuan

• Mary Furr
  • Topic Author
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #166753 by Mary Furr
But I do want members to be able to cancel recurring payments.

I'm facing two problems:

PayPal make it very difficult to find you NVP/SOAP API credentials. For example, when I spoke with Customer Support they couldn't even see that I had a NVP/SOAP API set up. Further, you can only access NVP/SOAP API credentials be drilling down in the Account settings. Do you have plans to use REST API settings in the future, or can we use them now?

Secondly, I made a test transaction on the live site to ensure that people could pay by credit card. The payment transaction went through fine. However, when I tried to cancel the subscription through the Membership Pro member profile, I received a message that the transaction couldn't go through because of an invalid header. So I had to cancel the transaction through the PayPal website.

I'm will to buy a better payment plug in if that is what I need. I just don't want payment hassles.

Thank you for listening and responding so quickly.

Mary

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #166755 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Mary

Do you have plans to use REST API settings in the future, or can we use them now?

We do not support REST API at the moment. But Yes, I will consider supporting it in future releases.

For invalid header issue, I would say that it causes by wrong credentials entered in payment plugin parameters. Could you please make sure you follow the instructions at Credentialshttps://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/apiCredentials/#link-apisignatures and get the right credentials to enter into payment plugin parameters and try again?

Tuan

• Mary Furr
  • Topic Author
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #166839 by Mary Furr
Thank you, Tuan. I reset my API credentials, and everything seems to be working smoothly. However, the transaction with which I had a problem seems to be half-baked. Some of the registration details didn't save, and a subscription ID wasn't generated. I used the Membership Pro capability to request payment, and received payment, and the state of the subscription changed from Pending to Active, but there is no Subscription ID. Can I make one up, or is there a way to generate one?

More
3 months 3 weeks ago #166840 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Request payment only allows making one time payment for the payment amount of a specific subscription record. It is not for recurring payment, so Subscription ID will be empty

Subscription ID will only be generated and saved for recurring payment. Mean users subscribe and make payment for a recurring subscription plan

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc