• Trevor Smith
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 3 months ago #155866 by Trevor Smith
Family membership problems was created by Trevor Smith
Hi

I have installed MP on several sites now and the same problem keeps cropping up - A Family membership with only one email address.

I initially got around it by installing a plugin called 'Allow duplicate email' but it hasn't been updated for several years and no longer works on the latest versions of J3 or J4.

On some sites I added a custom field where the user could say how many people to register and it adjusted the total to pay. This approach only works for simple subscriptions where each subscriber uses the same plan.

I considered using multiple fields to hold the different combinations of membership plans but it got too complicated especially where we had junior age groups and subscription periods.

The best approach was to use plus addressing. This worked OK but some users didn't understand how to use it but the biggest issue was that some hosts reject plus addresses including Hotmail occasionally.

I have  been thinking about a solution and wondered if this approach might work:

When a new subscriber is saved and a duplicate email is detected then a unique alias email address is created using the subscribers user id. ( Something like 000123@alias.email ) The alias is stored as the subscribers email address and also entered into a table together with the address that was entered.

When an email is generated for the subscriber the programme checks the subscribers email address to see if it's an alias ( contains 'alias.email' ) and if it does then it looks up the alias in the table and retrieves the correct address.

Do you think this would work in conjunction with subscriber groups?

Best regards
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #155868 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Family membership problems
Hi Trevor

Yes, that would work. But you would need to customize code of the extension to have it works like that. That feature, unfortunately, not supported in the extension

Tuan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc