subscriber avoids payment fee

• Francis Bartucca
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 2 months ago #156428 by Francis Bartucca
subscriber avoids payment fee was created by Francis Bartucca
Subscribers pays $20 plus $0.91 PayPal fee ($20.91). If PayPal transaction fails the first time the subscriber can then send a second "custom" PayPal payment for $20 and membership pro accepts the payment and renews subscription. The problem is customer must pay $20.91 because PayPal charges us $0.91 for transaction so we get $19.09 net instead of $20 net. How can I configure membership pro to reject "custom" PayPal second attempt payments for incorrect amount?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 2 months ago #156431 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic subscriber avoids payment fee
Hello Francis

Do you know exactly how subscribers can make that custom payment attempt like that?

Tuan

• Francis Bartucca
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 2 months ago #156433 by Francis Bartucca
Replied by Francis Bartucca on topic subscriber avoids payment fee
My treasurer thought customer was using PayPal.me to make such a payment but now that I think of it I would say she is wrong about that. I think this is what is happening:2023-01-31 13:02     subscriber uses offline payment method to renew $20 (email log confirms this) status is pending2023-02-10 11:39     subscriber uses paypal method to complete transaction for $20 ( but should be $20.91) (email log confirms this)I think the problem is that the (payment processing fee ($)) +  (payment processing fee (%)) = $0.91 is NOT triggered to recalculate now that subscriber has switched to using paypal payment method instead of offline mailing a check to complete the pending payment. The $20 amount remains static.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 2 months ago #156442 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Francis

Yes. This could happen. The reason is because while processing payment for a pending subscription like that, we do not calculate payment processing fee anymore. This is a bug, but it will take time to fix

Does this happen so often in your system? If not, please ignore this case and continue monitoring it. If it continue happening again with other subscribers, let me know and I will spend sometime to find a solution

Regards,

Tuan

• Francis Bartucca
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 2 months ago #156448 by Francis Bartucca
Replied by Francis Bartucca on topic subscriber avoids payment fee
Hello Tuan,

This is the first time this has ever happened and we converted to Membership Pro a few years ago. We will ignore this case and continue to monitor. Is it possible to log the details of what goes back and forth between Membership Pro and the payment gateway (PayPal) for each transaction? At most we would get about 400 transactions a year.

I have more information that might help. The subscription record time stamps show there was only 23 seconds between the last two renewal subscription records for the same subscriber.
The earlier one is marked pending with payment-method PayPal (Amount = 20, Payment Fee = 0.91, Total Amount = 20.91), ID = 835, Membership ID = blank, IP = 24.246.183.238, Transaction ID = 8OBtFQ3uFIxtr5qi
The second (23 seconds later) is marked active with payment-method PayPal (Amount = 20, Payment Fee = blank, Total Amount = 20), ID = 836, Membership ID = 1130, IP = 24.246.183.238, Transaction ID = 69167138LT792950K

Thanks

Frank

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 2 months ago #156450 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Thanks Frank. Please continue monitoring and let me know if it happens again. Look like he failed to process payment at the first time and then click on make payment link (displayed from Subscription History) to make payment for that subscription

I'm unsure if it was his intention to by pass the fee. But as it only happened for first time in years, please live with it for now

Regards,

Tuan