Allow duplicate email address

• Peter O'Toole
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #129059 by Peter O'Toole
Allow duplicate email address was created by Peter O'Toole
Hi,
I am setting up MP for our sailing club and need to cater for family groups. The issue that I can't see a way around is that when the group admin adds a member to their group a unique email address is required. I don't want to force parents to include email addresses for their children.
There is a plugin for Joomla to allow duplicate email addresses for users which works fine so it seems to be a feature of MP.
Can I override the need for a mandatory unique email address on group members?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #129062 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Allow duplicate email address
Hi Peter

As Joomla requires each user to have his own unique email address, so you need to use different email address for each member

I don't know how the plugin you are talking about handle that, so Yes, customization will be needed to allow that option (guess you will need to learn how the plugin do that and do the same with Membership Pro)

Tuan

• Peter O'Toole
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #129166 by Peter O'Toole
Replied by Peter O'Toole on topic Allow duplicate email address
Hi Tuan,
thank you for looking into this. In the end I have decided on a different approach that doesn't require an email address from most children. Where we can't avoid it I will advise parents that they can use email subaddressing on their own email address. The system accepts that format and it isn't imperative to us whether the childrens email address is 100% reliable.
Including a link as it might be useful to others and I had not come across this before.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Subaddressing
Thanks
Peter

More
4 years 5 months ago #129170 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
OK Peter. I'm glad you come up with the solution and thanks for sharing the solution

Tuan

More
3 years 7 months ago #137052 by Karen Griffin
Replied by Karen Griffin on topic Allow duplicate email address
I have a similar problem. I have used the extension that allows duplicate emails in Joomla often because many of my clients require the ability to have users with the same email address due to the demographics of their members (elderly couples who share email addresses). The link to the extension is: extensions.joomla.org/extension/allow-duplicate-email/ . Please let me know what would need to be done to modify either the extension or Membership Pro so that duplicate emails can be accepted by Membership Pro. This is essential for me to be able to complete a project I am currently working on. Thank you.

More
3 years 7 months ago #137053 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Karen

I haven't used that plugin, so I don't know how that plugin can allow multiple users with same email address since Joomla requires each user to have their own email address?

Could you give me more information about it so that I can understand how they handle it and see if I can guide you with some code modification in Membership Pro

Tuan

More
3 years 6 months ago #137485 by Trevor Smith
Replied by Trevor Smith on topic Allow duplicate email address
Another way is to use sub email addresses. Google 'joomla sub email address'

regards
Trevor

More
3 years 6 months ago #137612 by Karen Griffin
Except, the users that will be needing the ability to have duplicate emails would never be able to do that on their end. Too complicated.

More
3 years 6 months ago #137613 by Karen Griffin
Hi Tuan-

Sorry for not responding until weeks later. I have dug into this and the extension Allow Duplicate Emails, for Joomla 3.8 and higher, replaces libraries/src/Tables/User.php with a version of the file that has the check commented out. When Joomla is updated, it automatically replaces the file again. I actually just added to the extension to include the files MembershipPro uses (/components/com_osmembership/controller/validator.php and /components/com_osmembership/model/validationtrait.php) so that it would do the same for them. I had to do the same for Easy Profile. Of course, should you all decide to change the way you validate email addresses, I will have to update my version of the extension... so I hope you include that in your changelog!

Regards-

Karen

More
3 years 6 months ago #137935 by Sherry
Replied by Sherry on topic Allow duplicate email address
I have no programming experience, and would like to know how you adapted the extension to include membership pro. I also use allow duplicate emails.
I have found the files, and looked at them, but do not know enough to code the extension. I would think you have to update you extension manually every time it gets updated?