Membership content restriction using javascript

• RC Cola
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #60282 by RC Cola
Edit: it's still a little buggy, after working out all the kinks, will update.

Hi all,

I modified the Content - MPrestriction PHP plugin to use Javascript instead of PHP to block content (so content will still be seen by website crawlers, something which should help with SEO). It's not as fast as the PHP implementation (javascript basically does a search & replace on the {mprestriction} ...{/mprestriction}), but seems to do the trick.

Does anyone want a copy of it? It uses the same regular expression as the shipped version, so it should work pretty seamlessly. It's currently in production and seems to be working OK. It uses native Javascript (not JQuery / Mootools, etc.) so it shouldn't conflict with those packages.

Additionally, Tuan if you'd like it to include in the next release, I can send you the code, let me know.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by RC Cola.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #60293 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Membership content restriction using javascript
Hi

I don't think I need it for now. Once you have it completed and working properly, please post it in this forum post so that in case someone needs it, they can use it

Regards,

Tuan

• RC Cola
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #60756 by RC Cola
Hi all,

I've emailed Tuan the code for this. For some reason I couldn't post on the forum. No idea what the problem was with that.

More
9 years 1 month ago #60774 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Membership content restriction using javascript
Thanks. I don't know why you could not post it here (maybe you will need to zip it before posting). I will check my email and post it here. Thanks for sharing

Tuan

• RC Cola
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #61951 by RC Cola
I updated the code to fix a bug (I think the previous version of the file I sent was the wrong one anyway), and also added a feature to allow for the plugin to completely ignore the membership restriction requirement (it strips out the {mprestriction} tags and returns the text). This is configurable on the plugin config screen.

If you try this, please share your feedback. Thanks.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by RC Cola.

More
9 years 1 week ago #61999 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
I think we can have simpler implementation. We can check in PHP code to see whether the current user-agent is bot and then we will still show the restricted content. I think that would be simpler than working with javascript

Tuan

• RC Cola
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #62001 by RC Cola
That's a good idea.

Have you any experience with JBrowser->isRobot()? That looks like it would do the trick, but curious how well it works.

Thanks Tuan!

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #62045 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

Based on my experience, you can use this code:
Code:
$app = JFactory::getApplication(); if ($app->client->robot) { }

Regards,

Tuan
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Tuan Pham Ngoc.

• RC Cola
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #62157 by RC Cola
Hi Tuan,

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.

If anyone else interested in this? If you're looking at this thread, do a quick reply & say something if you'd like to see this feature in this plugin. If there's enough interest, I'll make the change & re-upload

Thanks all