URL Access problems

More
10 years 9 months ago #34322 by VW
URL Access problems was created by VW
Hello

I just installed Membership Pro half an hour ago and have already hit a problem.
I want to restrict access to URLs and your product information says this is possible.
After installation I activated the plugin OS Membersip URLS.
I created a plan and in the URLS access settings I put the URL, absolute. It is a PDF. I also added PDF to the allowed file types in configuration.
I added my own userID to that plan and logged in.
I can access when I am logged in BUT I can access also when I am not logged in, so what prevents anybody else from accessing this uRL?

Can you please let me know if I have missed out a step.

Your documentation is incomplete. I have read through this page joomdonation.com/using-extensions/using-...rship-extension.html
but there is absolute nothing about using the URL plugin, except it is listed at the bottom of the page. Forgive me if I have missed something but I have scoured the site for information about using this and cannot find it.

I am getting rather frustrated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #34337 by VW
Replied by VW on topic Re: URL Access problems
I would appreciate an answer ASAP thanks.

I am thoroughly confused.

I have purchased Membership Pro to sell PDFs via subscription. E.g. I will have three different subscription levels, each one will allow access to a number of PDF files.

On the basis of this information "You can use OS Membership URLs plugin to restrict access to any pages on your Joomla site for subscribers." I though it would be enough to purchase Membership Pro. Having read around on the forum I think this is not the case.

While waiting for a response to my previous post I decided to try using "Restrict access to Docman Documents: If you are using Docman on your site and want to restrict access to Docman Documents for Subscribers, you can use OS Membership Docman Plugin." So I just paid 58EUROS for DOCman and installed it. Then I activated the OS Membership DOcman plugin. Trying to work out what to do next, I discover I have to make Docman groups. There are no groups in my DoCman.

Then I discover an old thread on here from an unhappy customer who talks about Docman and EDocman. Then I read on your site about a DOCMAN plugin here joomdonation.com/plugins/view-category.html which costs another $9.75. And apparently I need to buy Joomdonation in order for that to work.

So I have bought:
Membership PRo
DOCMAN (from joomlatools)

Do I also need to buy
EDOCMAN
DOCMAN PLUGIN
JOOMDONATION
???????????

HOw on earth does a person get this to work. Where is the documentation. THANK YOU.

More
10 years 9 months ago #34338 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: URL Access problems
Hi

I am sorry. I was not available in the office during the weekend and could not reply you earlier. I will check your questions and reply you on tomorrow morning !

Regards,

Tuan

More
10 years 9 months ago #34375 by VW
Well, "tomorrow morning" has been and gone but still no answer :dry:

I would appreciate some help here please. As it stands I have paid for 2 extensions which I can't use. I will need to request a refund if I can't get this to work soon.

In a nutshell:
In order to sell subscriptions which allow access to PDFs:
a) Which extensions do I need to buy (I have Membership Pro and DOCMan from joomlatools)
b) If these are the only extensions I need, please link me to the documentation so that I can get this working.

Thank you.

More
10 years 9 months ago #34382 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

I don't have experience with latest version of Docman, however, I think the solution you choose will work but it is not the best solution. The correct solution would be using Joomla core ACL together with Membership Pro and Docman. The steps are :

1. Go to Extensions -> Plugins Manager, make sure you publish the OS Membership - Joomla Groups plugin.

2. Create a new Joomla Group on your site, maybe calling that group as Subscriber.

3. Create a new access level called Subscriber. Only choose the Subscriber group for this access level.

4. EDit the Docman document, change access Level of that document to Subscriber.

5. Edit the subscription plan, in the Joomla Group Settings tab, choose the Subscriber group. By doing that, when users make subscription, he will be assigned to Subscriber group. Thefore, he can have access to the Docman Document.

Could you please follow my instructions to setup it ? Also, if you have questions or need me to check it for you, maybe you can talk to me directly on Skype. My Skype nickname is tuanpnves and I am available now !

Sorry for slow on this support request. I was busy yesterday to finish a new version of one of my extension !

Tuan

More
10 years 9 months ago #34637 by Celso Rodrigues
Replied by Celso Rodrigues on topic Re: URL Access problems
VW
I think you should take a Joomla course from Lynda.com. Pay special attention the ACL course. I did, its great.

More
10 years 9 months ago #34645 by VW
Hi Tuan

Thanks for your response. I've spent a long time on this. I have followed your instructions, also some instructions given on the Docman forum. I still can't get it to work. I end up with a 404 with every download link.

I don't think this extension is going to work for me. The lack of documentation about how to connect to DOCman on both your side, and the fact that there seems to be no documentation at all for the new version of DOCMan, (I found plenty for the old version, which used groups rather than the Joomla ACL) means that for someone like me with no ACL experience it is just too hard. I've followed all the instructions and failed and have lost the will to continue with it. I am not interested in following tutorials about how to learn about the Joomla ACL, I just want a plugin which works. Luckily, I have found one, and I had it up and running in less than an hour.

So therefore I would like to request a refund, since your product is not working for me. Joomlatools have already refunded me.
I appreciate your time and assistance.

More
10 years 9 months ago #34646 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

There is no problem with refund the money of your purchase. But if you still want me to setup it for you, simply submit a support ticket and I will setup some samples for you.

But if you don't want to go with Membership Pro and Docman, just drop me an email to services@joomdonation.com lets me know your Paypal account and I will refund the money of your purchase !

Tuan

More
10 years 9 months ago #34648 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
BTW, there is a simpler way with URLs access settings. But the way I guide you is using Joomla ACL so that you won't have to enter the URLs manually when you setup a new document.

Tuan