"Categories list" menu to display sub-categories

• Oksana Dashwood
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #47447 by Oksana Dashwood
"Categories list" menu to display sub-categories was created by Oksana Dashwood
Hi,

If any of you require this, I describe how I resolved this below. However, it'd be good to implement as a feature.

"Categories list" is an attractive and useful menu. But it has no option to display sub-categories of a chosen category, only ever displaying the top categories' list. This makes the menu practically usable only once on your site!

For example, my categories are structured as:
A
-A1
-A2
-A3
B
-B1
-B2
-B3
C
-C1
-C2
-C3

"Categories list" menu does not appear customisable at all, always displaying pictures for A, B and C only. This is not good for me at all, because some of my categories are used for filtering only and should not even be displayed out. Instead, I need to use the layout similar to "categories list", with thumb picture for each category, to display A1, A2 and A3 or B1, B2 and B3. And I have just resolved it by some [very] minor hacking. This is as far as my hacking goes I'm afraid but I hope it'll be useful to someone so sharing a solution.

I noted the URL of "Category layout" menu structure:
index.php?option=com_eshop&view=category&id=1

I noted the URL of the "Categories list" menu which doesn't give an option to select the category:
index.php?option=com_eshop&view=categories

Then, I replicated the the structure of the "category layout" url to the "categories list" as such:

index.php?option=com_eshop&view=categories&id=1

So, as you see, I supplied the id of the category whose sub-categories I require to view in the "Categories list" layout. This was implementedusing a "System Links -> External URL" menu supplying it the URL constructed above. Of course, you need to look up the id of the category whose pictures you want to display in this layout.

I think this should be implemented as a feature because, surely, many would like this option.

Thank you.

Regards,
Oksana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #53408 by A.R
hi,

any news about this,

thanks

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 5 months ago #53882 by Giang Dinh Truong
Replied by Giang Dinh Truong on topic "Categories list" menu to display sub-categories
Hello A.R,
I am sorry, I have been too busy for a week regarding the security issue on our site so I have still not had time to work on this. I will sort the time to work on it ASAP!
Have a nice weekend.
Sincerely, Giang

Moderators: Giang Dinh Truong