[SOLVED] Categories GONE after upgrade to v1.3.2

• Panos2000
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #7396 by Panos2000
Hello,

I upgraded to the latest version and now the categories I had are gone!

On the back end, if you go to the Categories area, you can still see them at the drop down menu on the far right (reading: Top and under it April and May as I had created). You don't see them though at the main Category area to edit them. You can also see them on the various events and you can choose that an event belongs to one.

The most important part is that if you have chosen to present your events by category and you have created menu items linking to your categories you end up showing up nothing in your site since no categories are found...

Furthermore, I created a new category and it also doesn't show up on the categories area (even though showing up at the drop down menu and at the events page).

I leave this post here for other users thinking of upgrading to see and I will also post it to my tickets for support.

Please advise!
Panos
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Panos2000. Reason: Upgraded status to [SOLVED]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Panos2000
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #7397 by Panos2000
...here you can see that under event edit you can still see that the categories exist.
Attachments:

• Panos2000
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #7398 by Panos2000
...and here is the content of the drop down menu. You can see the categories listing there but they don't show up for edit.
Attachments:

• Panos2000
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #7430 by Panos2000
B.U.M.P.

More
13 years 3 months ago #7431 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Categories GONE after upgrading to latest version
Hi

I think you did a wrong upgrade procedure. Could you please send me administrator account of your site (via support ticket system) so that I can do the upgrade for you ?

Thanks,

Tuan

• Panos2000
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #7432 by Panos2000
There is no official documentation for upgrading the component! After searching the forums I found one post made by you.

I followed the guide posted by yourself that can be found here: www.joomdonation.com/index.php?option=co...atid=62&id=5993#6007

...and says:

The manually upgrade process :

1. Unzip the file com_eventbooking.zip in the downloaded package .
2. Upload all the files and folders under site folder to components/com_eventbooking folder of your site.
3. Upload all the files and folders under [admin] to administrator/components/com_eventbooking folder of your site .
5. Upload the file site/languages/en-GB.com_eventbooking.ini to language/en-GB folder of your site .
4. Login to back-end of your site .
6. Type in the URL : yourdomain.com/administrator/index.php?o...ing&task=upgrade then press enter (replace yourdomain.com with your site domain) .

That's exactly what I did. Did the upgrade process changed somehow on the way since this post of yours is around 2 months ago? I know it doesn't work like EVERY OTHER SINGLE ONE component of joomla that I have purchased since you can't install on top of the previous installation. You need to either uninstall first and then install again (uninstalling will not touch your tables which means of course that if you decide to get rid of this component you will still have a database full of crap that you need to clean by hand) or follow the above method.

I have opened a support ticket in the customers area 3 days ago and I have posted there details for admin access on my website. You can find the ticket here: www.joomdonation.com/index.php?option=co...ickets&task=view&cid []=1002&Itemid=84

Tuan, you have created a wonderful extension. But you need to give us some documentation and recreate the upgrade process into a more friendly one.

In anticipation of a solution...
Panos

• Panos2000
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #7447 by Panos2000
For anyone looking into upgrading.

Tuan, using an admin account in my website fixed the problem. Apparently the method described above by Tuan him self IS NOT valid! You MUST uninstall the previous version and then install the new one. This is what Tuan told me that he did in order to get it working again. For reference, I'm talking about upgrading to version 1.3.2

One thing is that the menus pointing to my categories DID NOT work correct. I had to go to my menu and press save again in order for things to start working again.

Big thanks to Tuan for looking into this and a reminder to arrange some documentation regarding upgrade issues on the website as soon as possible.

Tuan, you can't expect users to search all around the forums to find the solution to their problem. You need to sort this as soon as possible unless if you really want, instead of developing, to spend you time giving support to users that can't find the documentation to sort things out them selves!

That being said, I strongly believe that the upgrade procedure should be as painless as possible and one more time I remind you that no other professional joomla component, from the ones I have purchased, requires the component to be uninstalled before upgrading to a newer version...

Best regards
Panos

More
13 years 3 months ago #7465 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Categories GONE after upgrading to latest version

Tuan, using an admin account in my website fixed the problem. Apparently the method described above by Tuan him self IS NOT valid! You MUST uninstall the previous version and then install the new one. This is what Tuan told me that he did in order to get it working again. For reference, I'm talking about upgrading to version 1.3.2

=> I am sorry for lately response in this thread. I was at my home with my family to celebrating new year holiday and just come back to normal work today .

As an experienced developer, I can say that the manual upgrade process which I described in other forum postother forum post are correct. However, I am not sure it doesn't work on your site. I tried to modify one file of code to test the upgrade manually but I could not modify the code to check because I don't have enough permission. That's the reason I upgraded your site using uninstall/install method .

Tuan, you can't expect users to search all around the forums to find the solution to their problem. You need to sort this as soon as possible unless if you really want, instead of developing, to spend you time giving support to users that can't find the documentation to sort things out them selves!

That being said, I strongly believe that the upgrade procedure should be as painless as possible and one more time I remind you that no other professional joomla component, from the ones I have purchased, requires the component to be uninstalled before upgrading to a newer version...

=> I agree that the document need to be improved and the upgrade process need to be simpler (should have patches or auto-update feature in future version) . I promise will spend time on it and improve it very soon . Thanks for your kind reminder :) .

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc