How Do I Hide Past Events in Category Layout?

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #149401 by LAC Webadmin
How Do I Hide Past Events in Category Layout? was created by LAC Webadmin
Hello!
How do I hide past events from being listed in the category layout (column, default, timeline, and table)? I did set Yes to Hide Past Event configuration but it is still listing past events.

In the frontend:

In the menu item for the category layout timeline, under options tab I set it to:

Upcoming means future or current events/dates, right? If I change the option to Past Events, it does remove the upcoming events so that filter works except that Upcoming Events meant something. Although the events listed as recurring and has upcoming dates, it should list the next available date from today, right?

Tuan, I traced the query for Category model and it it does apply hiding past events but it only pull the parent data (tbl.parent_id = 0 in the query). Seems like confusing for end users, don't you think? The event date displayed in the lists is when the recurring event started (the parent event item), in my opinion, it should display the next available children of an event >= the current date.

Thanks,
Jackson
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by LAC Webadmin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 2 months ago #149433 by LAC Webadmin
Replied by LAC Webadmin on topic How Do I Hide Past Events in Category Layout?
Hello Tuan,

If the default query for Category Layout only display the Parent for recurring events, the duration filter will return empty on whatever is selected even though there's a scheduled event (child) in a selected duration filter.

I am surprised no one complained about this before. I'm still developing our website using EB but for me this behavior of displaying events is not right, it will cause confusion for end users. Or maybe there's a settings that I just didn't saw?

Thanks,

Jackson

More
2 years 2 months ago #149434 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic How Do I Hide Past Events in Category Layout?
Hi Jackson

I guess the issue happens because you have Show Children Events In Parent Event Detail Page config option set to Yes

So the system needs to display parent event (which is a past event here) to allow users to access to that parent event to see it's children events

If you set Show Children Events In Parent Event Detail Page config option to No, it should solve the issue

Regards,

Tuan

More
2 years 2 months ago #149435 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic How Do I Hide Past Events in Category Layout?
And in case you don't want to show past events, maybe you should use Upcoming Events menu item type instead of using category layout to display upcoming events

Regards,

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 2 months ago #149444 by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

Ok, now it is showing the children for recurring events but is there a way to display the most recent (closests upcoming date from current the current date or the selected filter) child of recurring events? What's happening is, it displays all of the children of recurring events and it looks like there's a lot of events happening but in reality, it's just the same event repeating.

Thanks,

Jackson

More
2 years 2 months ago #149449 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello

1. Please switch to use upcoming events menu item type

2. Set Show Children Events In Parent Event Detail Page config option back to Yes

Then check it again. It should work as you want

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #149503 by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

Ok, I followed your suggestion and it does work but the Duration Filter doesn't seem to work when I change the value from All Dates. The default Duration Filter is set to All Dates, a recurring event for Feb 10, 2022 is showing up. When I try to filter Next Week, I'm sure the same event which recur on Feb 17, 2022 which is Next Week does not show up. I'm getting "There are no up-coming events".  The same with other duration. 

Also, when set to All Dates, I'm seeing 5 events for Feb and all are recurring events. When I change the duration filter to This Month, I'm only seeing 1 which is on Feb 9, what about the other 4?

Thanks,
Jackson
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by LAC Webadmin.

More
2 years 2 months ago #149505 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
This could be a difficult issue since it is configured to only display parent events on the page, not children events. I will try to look at it again to see if I can come up with a solution

Tuan

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
2 years 2 months ago #149547 by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

I hope you'll have a solution to this soon. I like the idea of having a duration filter but if it's not working as what it should be then having it in the view doesn't make sense. I also run out of views to test that would work logically with upcoming recurring events, the best view is what you suggested. Fixing the duration filter query I guess wold fix it.

Thanks,
Jackson

• LAC Webadmin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 year 11 months ago #151899 by LAC Webadmin
Hi Tuan,

Just a follow up for this issue. I just updated to v4.1.2 and the issue with event filter is still the same.

Thanks,
Jackson

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc