Payment Processing Fees Calculation seems off?

• Timothy Kilpatrick
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago #147813 by Timothy Kilpatrick
Payment Processing Fees Calculation seems off? was created by Timothy Kilpatrick
Hello, not sure if this has been brought up before, but the math being used to calculate the processing fee seems to be incorrect. This results in a slightly below target net after the processing is done by the card processor. The example is based on a $92 total transaction with a 2.9% processing fee and a $0.30 transaction fee:

Events booking cited 94.97 as the total cost to the registrant. This was calculated as (92 * 1.029) + .3 = 94.968. Results in a processing fee of $2.97
Processer assessed fee as $3.05 This was calculated as (94.97 * 0.029) + 0.3 = $3.05
This results in 94.97 - 3.05 = 91.92 which is 0.08 less than target. Aggregated this will add up in net difference.

I'm not a math guru, but to properly calculate processing fee of 2.9% + 0.30 transaction fee on $92 I believe the math should be calculated different in event booking:

((92 + 0.30)/(1 - 0.029)) - 92 = 3.0566 - Essentially $3.06 fee so 95.06 total charge

Processor would then calculate (95.06 * 0.029) + 0.3 = $3.06 

This would then result in a net of $92 as expected. For clarity I am using the Square payment plugin, but I would assume the calculations would be independent of the plugin and likely be a product of the main Event Booking app?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #147836 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Payment Processing Fees Calculation seems off?
Hello

The fee has been calculating like that for years. Right or wrong, to be honest, I'm unsure but I could not make changes right now because it is widely used and could cause unexpected behavior if I make the change

If you want the fee calculate as you described, please:

1. Create folder components/com_eventbooking/helper/override on your site
2. Get this file, unzip it, upload the received file to components/com_eventbooking/helper/override folder

Then it should work as you want. This change is implemented using override, so it won't be lost when you update to future releases of the extension.

Regards,

Tuan
Attachments:

• Timothy Kilpatrick
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #147850 by Timothy Kilpatrick
Replied by Timothy Kilpatrick on topic Payment Processing Fees Calculation seems off?
Hello Tuan, thank you for the updated helper, this would have taken me several days to figure out and I appreciate your prompt response. There is one error in the helper in that the original amount was not deducted from the calculated fee, which resulted in the fee being the original amount + fees. I've made the update to the helper and have attached it here as an updated version. This results in the correct value and fee. 

Thank you,
Tim
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Timothy Kilpatrick.

More
2 years 5 months ago #147856 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Payment Processing Fees Calculation seems off?
Great. Thanks Timothy!