getControlGroup is deprecated. How to override for bootstrap 4?

• Russell Leigh
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #133709 by Russell Leigh
getControlGroup is a deprecated method in joomla and it returns old bootstrap field formatting

Everything is heavily embedded in to classes in event booking so it's really difficult to edit overrides. I feel this is quite bad practice as even joomla core components use html and therefore it's easy to overwrite and customise

How can I make this compatible with bootstrap 4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Russell Leigh
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #133713 by Russell Leigh
What is this weird library and class and RADFormFieldText

Why is this plugin so difficult to override and not normal joomla?

• Russell Leigh
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #133715 by Russell Leigh
In file components/com_eventbooking/themes/default/fieldlayout/controlgroup.php and the subsequent field files. How to change the $attributes variable? It is just a string with the classes in it. I need to add custom classes. Do I really need to regex this?

• Russell Leigh
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #133716 by Russell Leigh
And there is no file for selects?

More
3 years 11 months ago #133717 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Russell

Everything is overidable. I don't know what you are trying to do but if you just want to make the extension compatible with twitter bootstrap 4, you do not have to do any code modification. It's supported out of the box

Just please go to Events Booking -> Configuration:

- Set Load Bootstrap CSS In The Front-end config option to No
- Set Twitter Bootstrap Version to Twitter Bootstrap 4

Then check it again and let us know if you need more help

Tuan

• Russell Leigh
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #133718 by Russell Leigh
It's hardly compatible with bootstrap 4. The default template is awful. Why have you ignored every other question I asked?

I want to change the classes in the inputs to form-control which is what they should be in bootstrap 4 and get rid of the horrible columns layout

I have managed to remove the columns by editing components/com_eventbooking/themes/default/fieldlayout/controlgroup.php

How can I override the classes of the input on the registration page?

How do I override the attributes variable to add my own classes?

How do I override the classes for a dropdown/select field?

More
3 years 11 months ago #133719 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Russell

To help me understand the issue you are having, please send me link to registration form so that I can take a look at it. Please stop editing code yet. If there is something not configurable and need code customization, I will be happy to work on it and integrate it into core package.

I want to change the classes in the inputs to form-control which is what they should be in bootstrap 4 and get rid of the horrible columns layout

=> You want to add form-control as the css class of the input, correct? If so, maybe go to Events Booking -> Custom Fields, edit the custom field, set CSS Class parameter of the field to form-control, then check to see if it solves the issue?

How can I override the classes of the input on the registration page?

How do I override the attributes variable to add my own classes?

How do I override the classes for a dropdown/select field?

=> Just edit the field, set CSS Class parameter to contain the class you want.

Please look at it and let me know if it answers your questions

Tuan

More
3 years 11 months ago #133721 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
So please :

1. The first thing you should do is configure Events Booking to use twitter bootstrap 4 as I mentioned before

- Set Load Bootstrap CSS In The Front-end config option to No
- Set Twitter Bootstrap Version to Twitter Bootstrap 4

2. Then instead of customizing the code, let me know the change you want to have it better compatible with twitter bootstrap 4. I will look at it to see if it's not configurable, I will implement it in the code so that you won't have to customize it

The extension should support twitter bootstrap 4 without any code modification

Tuan

• Russell Leigh
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #133722 by Russell Leigh
Everything I'm doing in the code is done with overrides. I'm not editing the core files directly so it doesn't matter.

The default layout renders as a col-md-3 with the label in it and a col-md-8 with the input in it. It looks bad. I edited controlgroup.php and removed the columns.

The rest I have done with css. Not sure why you have width: 210px !important; on all inputs?

I already have bootstrap 4 loading with my template so I'm not loading it from your plugin as well.

Your code is not very well compatible with bootstrap 4 and uses old classes and looks bad. It WORKS with bootstrap4 but I wouldn't say it's properly or very well implemented.

However, yes changing the class in the backend is the effect I wanted. Why are they called custom fields? That is confusing but it is exactly what I wanted, to set the class on the input, thanks!

tremor.local/get-involved/events

More
3 years 11 months ago #133820 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Russell

Sorry for lately response. I replied you, but look like it was lost (I replied at the midnight and did not check the result)

As of today, I updated the code of the extension so that it is better compatible with twitter bootstrap 4:

- Add form-control class to the text, textarea, select field type by default (so you don't have to set it manually using CSS Class setting of the field)
- Add form-check-in to checkboxes and radio field types

You can download latest package of the extension, upgrade it to your site to have the extension better compatible with twitter bootstrap 4 (without having to overriding the code)

If you still have questions or any issues with twitter bootstrap 4, feel free to let me know, I will continue working to improve it

Regards,

Tuan