All questions about EDocman extension

Copy documents to another site

• Claus Jepsen
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 6 months ago #147146 by Claus Jepsen
Copy documents to another site was created by Claus Jepsen
Hi
I am running eDocman on a Joomla 3 site with 1000+ PDF's and 200+ categories.
Now I have built a Joomla4 sandbox and would very much avoid doing all the document upload and categorisation again.
Is their anyway I can export the configuration and documents - in order to restore it in same folder path on the new site?

Regards,
Claus Jepsen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #147147 by Mr. Dam
Replied by Mr. Dam on topic Copy documents to another site
Hi Claus,
You can follow below steps to migrate data of Edocman from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4.
1. Using PHPMyAdmin to export all Edocman tables of old version to .sql file. The Edocman DB table will have the prefix (#__edocman...). For example: jos_edocman_documents.
2. Open .sql file by Notepad and replace the prefix of old database (Joomla 3) by prefix of new database (Joomla 4)
3. Import modified .sql file into new Joomla database site. Because in .sql file, you add option "Drop tables if exists", so even in new site, you already installed Edocman. You won't have any issue in this step.
4. Re-install new Edocman version in new site
5. Copy Edocman document directory from old site to new site.
Good luck
Dam

More
2 years 5 months ago #147250 by Ina Weissflog
Replied by Ina Weissflog on topic Copy documents to another site
Hi Dam,
I am also preparing for the Joomla 4 migration at the moment. Is this process you have described here the same, when restoring a backup of a current Joomla 3.9.version as a new instance, then upgrading this instance to Joomla 3.10 and then migrating to Joomla 4. Or is there a different approach?
After restoring a backup of a current Joomla 3.9.version, I found out that on the front end the documents cannot be opended, not found. Is it possible that you are you using absolut paths? Is there a way to sort that out already before or during the restore of the backup? If not, than after the restore?
Many thanks in advance for you advice.
Regards,
Ina 

More
2 years 5 months ago #147256 by Ina Weissflog
Replied by Ina Weissflog on topic Copy documents to another site
Hi Dam,
in the meantime, I found how I can edit the path in the Edocman Configuration. That part is sorted. But could you still advice how to best migrate from Jommla 3 to 4.

Many thanks.
Regards,
Ina

More
2 years 5 months ago #147317 by Mr. Dam
Replied by Mr. Dam on topic Copy documents to another site
Hi Ina,
You can upgrade your Joomla site from version 3.x to 4.0.x normally. After that, you just need to re-install latest Edocman version. Thus, you will have Edocman and Joomla 4 running together.
Thanks
Dam

Moderators: Mr. Dam