I am running eDocman on a Joomla 3 site with 1000+ PDF's and 200+ categories.
Now I have built a Joomla4 sandbox and would very much avoid doing all the document upload and categorisation again.
Is their anyway I can export the configuration and documents - in order to restore it in same folder path on the new site?
You can follow below steps to migrate data of Edocman from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4.
1. Using PHPMyAdmin to export all Edocman tables of old version to .sql file. The Edocman DB table will have the prefix (#__edocman...). For example: jos_edocman_documents.
2. Open .sql file by Notepad and replace the prefix of old database (Joomla 3) by prefix of new database (Joomla 4)
3. Import modified .sql file into new Joomla database site. Because in .sql file, you add option "Drop tables if exists", so even in new site, you already installed Edocman. You won't have any issue in this step.
4. Re-install new Edocman version in new site
5. Copy Edocman document directory from old site to new site.
I am also preparing for the Joomla 4 migration at the moment. Is this process you have described here the same, when restoring a backup of a current Joomla 3.9.version as a new instance, then upgrading this instance to Joomla 3.10 and then migrating to Joomla 4. Or is there a different approach?
After restoring a backup of a current Joomla 3.9.version, I found out that on the front end the documents cannot be opended, not found. Is it possible that you are you using absolut paths? Is there a way to sort that out already before or during the restore of the backup? If not, than after the restore?
Many thanks in advance for you advice.
You can upgrade your Joomla site from version 3.x to 4.0.x normally. After that, you just need to re-install latest Edocman version. Thus, you will have Edocman and Joomla 4 running together.