All questions about EDocman extension

Customizing the UPLOAD form

• Hugo Jimenez
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #18040 by Hugo Jimenez
Customizing the UPLOAD form was created by Hugo Jimenez
Great work on this Extension!. I'm trying to achieve the following, can you please provide advice on how to do it?

1. Remove certain (non-mandatory) fields in the upload form ( such as "alias", "thumbnail", "file URL", "access", "status", "Meta-description", "keywords", I'm quite aware I'll have to edit code, and I'm ready for it. It'll just be way easier if you point me out in the right direction ( what file should I be looking at).

2. For the "short description" and "description" fields I get an "advanced" text editor that can be confusing for my standard users. What do I need to edit in order to make it a simpler text editor or just a "regular" text input (exactly like those used for "meta description" and "keywords")...Please take a look at the provided screenshot.

3. For the past two days I've been editing the Form.css to better fit my needs. The issue that I have right now is that I can't make the background of the Upload Form TRANSPARENT (oh yes, I've tried the "table.adminform {background-color: transparent}" selector...If I do this the background becomes white. So the workaround I'm using is to set it to #043758, the blueish color you see in the pictures, but I'm not happy with it).

4. While in the Front-end, if a user Uploads a Document, how do I setup Edocman so that the file is visible (and editable) ONLY to that user who uploaded the file?.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Regards,
Hugo
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Hugo Jimenez. Reason: Missed the last question on this topic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #18050 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Customizing the UPLOAD form

1. Remove certain (non-mandatory) fields in the upload form ( such as "alias", "thumbnail", "file URL", "access", "status", "Meta-description", "keywords", I'm quite aware I'll have to edit code, and I'm ready for it. It'll just be way easier if you point me out in the right direction ( what file should I be looking at).

2. For the "short description" and "description" fields I get an "advanced" text editor that can be confusing for my standard users. What do I need to edit in order to make it a simpler text editor or just a "regular" text input (exactly like those used for "meta description" and "keywords")...Please take a look at the provided screenshot.

3. For the past two days I've been editing the Form.css to better fit my needs. The issue that I have right now is that I can't make the background of the Upload Form TRANSPARENT (oh yes, I've tried the "table.adminform {background-color: transparent}" selector...If I do this the background becomes white. So the workaround I'm using is to set it to #043758, the blueish color you see in the pictures, but I'm not happy with it).

You can look at the file components/com_edocman/views/document/tmpl/edit.php, edit the code to make it works in the way you want.

4. While in the Front-end, if a user Uploads a Document, how do I setup Edocman so that the file is visible (and editable) ONLY to that user who uploaded the file?.

=> You will need to have a good Joomla programing skill in this case. Basically, each document has a field called user_ids (stored in #__edocman_documents table). You will need to know how to set value of this field to ID of the current logged in user id so that only him can access , edit, download...this document.

Tuan

• Hugo Jimenez
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago #18068 by Hugo Jimenez
Replied by Hugo Jimenez on topic Re: Customizing the UPLOAD form
Thank you for your prompt response. Is it possible to get the customization needed in point 4 by submitting a support ticket? Have a great day.

More
11 years 8 months ago #18069 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Hugo

I am sorry but modify code to meet individual client need is not in scope of support. In this case, you will have to find a developer who know Joomla programming to help you .

Please give him the instruction I mentioned above and he will know how to customize code .

Regards,

Tuan

• Hugo Jimenez
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago #18070 by Hugo Jimenez
Ok, I understand. Can you point me out to a good tutorial to achieve that goal or any other resource I might find useful? I know Javascript and Ruby, though I've never programmed Joomla. There are many online resources I can consult, I'm just hoping to save some time by going straight to a tutorial recommended by a Joomla expert, such as yourself. Thank you.

More
11 years 8 months ago #18077 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Hugo

I went ahead to edit the code to make it work as you want (haven't tested yet but it should work). You can get the file below, unzip it, upload to components/com_edocman/models folder. After that, please try to upload new document and It will work as expected.

Tuan
Attachments:

• Hugo Jimenez
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago #18095 by Hugo Jimenez
Tuan:

I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am. I'm going to test this tomorrow since it's almost 3 AM and I can barely stand, but it really was a jaw-dropping experience to check my email right before going to bed and realizing you went through this effort. This is the best support I've experienced by far, even when editing this code wasn't part of the service agreement. Thank you again.

• Hugo Jimenez
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago #18142 by Hugo Jimenez
Hi Tuan!

Your customization worked as expected!. Every uploaded document is visible only to the user who uploaded it. Just one tiny glitch, and I hit SUBMIT (on the upload form) I always get the following error ( see below). However, if I reload the page, it takes me to the parent category and the new file appears there, visible only to the user that uploaded it. Any ideas what the problem is? Thank you very much, and again congratulations on the fantastic support provided.

Server error

The website encountered an error while retrieving www.hugojl.com/Joomla/index.php/documentos?layout=edit&id=0 . It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

Here are some suggestions:

Reload this webpage later.

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

More
11 years 8 months ago #18177 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Hugo

Please submit a support ticket sending me administrator and FTP account of your site so that I can check the issue directly on your site.

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Mr. Dam