Key field other than email address

• Nicholas Holdgate
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #146041 by Nicholas Holdgate
Key field other than email address was created by Nicholas Holdgate
Hello.  First post here!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything.

We have a membership organisation where everyone has a unique Roll Number from 1 to 276.  For example, I am number 152.  When I leave the organisation, my Roll Number will be assigned to a new person.

This means that the key unique ID for us is the Roll Number, not the email address.  What I need to be able to do is - when members change as they do periodically - load an upload file of subscribers and replace the data for everyone using Roll Number as the key, not email.  What we do is assemble the username field for import as "memberNNN" where NNN is 1 to 276.

What seems to happen at the moment is that new subscriptions get created for the new email address, and the old one stays on the system.  I end up having to manually amend / delete subscription records which is a pain.

I cannot see how to do this.  Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #146048 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Key field other than email address
Hello

The system does not have an option to delete old subscribers and replace it with new subscribers as you described, seems strange requirement to me

And how the system knows who to delete when a new subscriber join in this case?

Tuan

• Nicholas Holdgate
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago #146062 by Nicholas Holdgate
Replied by Nicholas Holdgate on topic Key field other than email address
Thank you for your reply.

We are using MembershipPro unusually.

1) we setup the society members as subscribers with zero cost lifetime memberships.
2) when they login to the site, as registered users they see pages about society business that are not visible to the public - calendar of events, society information, etc.
3) They can update their personal info - addresses, contact numbers, etc but not alter their subscription.
4) when people leave the society, we manually edit the subscriber data to delete them from joomla and edit the membership pro data to change the login password and email address to be dummy values - this means old members cannot log in
5) when new members join, we edit the user and subscription data again manually.
6) occasionally we clear out everything in joomla to delete all users and then reload data from a csv file.

I know this is an unusual way to use your software. The use case will be well away from what you envisaged!

This is why it would have been great if username could have been the key field rather than email address. We could then bulk upload member data and everything would just work for us.