How can I enter U.S. local sales tax rates in Membership Pro?

• CEO
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #133086 by CEO
Hello,

Our website will be selling to users in the United States.

I see that the Membership Pro Tax Rules form allows one sales tax entry per U.S. state.

Question 1: Is there a way to upload a tax table to Membership Pro, instead of entering each tax rate manually?

Question 2: In the U.S. we have State Sales Tax rates for each state, and additional local sales tax rates for counties and cities. Is it possible to enter county and city tax rates into Membership Pro?

Question 3: Does Membership Pro provide a report showing what taxes have been collected, by location?

Question 4: Is there a function similar to "Build EU Tax Rules" that builds a list of United States tax rules?

Your help is appreciated. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #133095 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello

1. Sorry, No. We do not support importing tax rates at the moment

2. Sorry, we only support setup tax rate to state level only

3. We do not support this at the moment.

4. Sorry, No

Tuan

• CEO
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #133113 by CEO
Hi Tuan,

Thanks for answering my questions.

Do you mean that Membership Pro can collect taxes, but it does not have a way to show the site owner what taxes were collected?

In the U.S., we have to report these amounts to each state where the tax was collected - and pay that specific amount to each state.

How can I use this extension to collect the correct state tax, and then have that data to report to the individual state tax authorities?

Thank you for your assistance.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #133123 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi

At the moment, the extension only allows you to setup tax rules and then, subscribers will be charge tax base on matching rule

We do not support the kind of report you are talking about. So if you need it, I'm afraid of you will have to build the report yourself (honestly, this is the first time I hear about the request)

Tuan

More
3 years 9 months ago #135868 by cpaschen
We're facing the same thing here also - US local sales tax colletion and reporting.

The reporting should be easy if the data is store in a db (we use Alter Reports).

However, for anyone selling subscriptions in the US, you MUST collect at the local level.

We use Avalara ( www.avalara.com ) on our other ecommerce systems.
I'm wondering if there is a way for us to write a plug-in that would be triggered in place of the existing tax calculation, that would connect to Avalara (via API) to get the proper tax amount and return the tax value to Membership Pro for the checkout process?

If so, then Avalara would also keep the records/reports for us.

Let me know if there is a trigger that we could use for writing such a plugin.
And if it works, we'd be happy to share it back to the project or possibly directly with others.

More
3 years 9 months ago #135871 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello

We do not have a trigger for you to write plugin. However, the code for calculating tax rate is placed inside the file components/com_osmembership/helper/subscription.php , method calculateSubscriptionTaxRate

You can modify that method (it could be overriden - see membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/develo...thods-helper-methods for instructions) to collect to Avalara to get the tax rate you want

Maybe you can look at it to see if it could work?

Tuan

More
3 years 9 months ago #135887 by cpaschen
Although I'd prefer a plugin option, doing an override of the method should work fine for what we need.

Thanks for the tips on that.

When we get something working I'll try to remember to come back to this post and share a bit of what we did in case any others run into this issue (or if someone else does before I post back please feel free to ask here and I'll share what we've learned/done to make this work.

More
3 years 9 months ago #135894 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
OK, that would be great. Thanks @cpaschen