EU tax rules

• Emmanuel Orban de Xivry
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #140639 by Emmanuel Orban de Xivry
EU tax rules was created by Emmanuel Orban de Xivry
Hello
I wish to have a better understanding on how the Eu tax rules works for inline registration
Is it just a simple rule like
outside the country with a vat number: no tax applied
outside the country without a vat nbumebr: tax applied?

How does event booking recognise that the location of the client is located in another country?
How does eventbooking know the applicable VAT per country?

Thanks

Emmanuel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #140721 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic EU tax rules
Hello Emmanuel

1. In configuration of Events Booking, there is a config option called Default Country. That's called Home Country

2. If registrant is from Home Country (he needs to choose his country on registration form), they will be charged that home country tax rate

3. If registrants is not from EU country, he won't be charged tax

4. If registrant is from EU country (and not from Home Country)
- If he has a valid EU VAT Number, he won't be charged tax
- If he does not have a valid VAT Number, he will be charged the tax rate of his country

Hope it is clear to you now. That's something called EU Tax Rules

Tuan

• Emmanuel Orban de Xivry
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #140737 by Emmanuel Orban de Xivry
Replied by Emmanuel Orban de Xivry on topic EU tax rules
Hello Tuan

Your support is great as usual.  It remains two questions  and one remark though

The remark

I believe that today VAT on events is or will be different than products. It must be charged at the VAT rate of the event location (each time different).  So in other words, everyone from the country of the event is charged VAT and the event organiser is supposed to return the VAT to the country of the location of the event.  Professional foreigners to event loaction are not charged VAT.  The EU tax rule used by EB will work if the home country is the same than the event country. One should than go  for manual invoicing if the events are organised in various countries.
I have asked my accountant to clarify for webinars.  I hope the rule remains more simple.  If you are interested I will share his response to you for info.

The questions (they relates to the possibility to use the EU VAT rules settings)
1)  Each european country has his own format for VAT (see  www.tvaintracommunautaire.eu ) .  Yes we love to have a unified EU.  Does EB recognised whether the VAT number is valid for each country?
If yes, this is really impressive.  The European situation is complex and I understand that your extensions cannot handle all details. 

2) Would it be possible to implement automatic invoicing for one country (in my case Belgium), leaving it manual for other countries.
In other words the soft would offer something like this

Automatic invoicing:                          countries of application                           Select country                         result
                    No                                                        NA                                                    NA                                MANUAL INVOICING (current option)
                    YES                                                    ALL                                                   NA                                AUTOMATIC with possible issues on VAT numbers (current option)
                    yes                                                      One                                                  list                                 Automatic for the selected countyry, manual for others
The latest option would allow me to validate the format of the VAT outside my country and decide whether I applied VAT.   The problem does not exist for my country because I apply the VAT for all customers anyway.

If in a subsequent revision of EB extension you can add the above options + the VAT format number at the event level then it will allows automatic invoices for all events.

Automatic invoices are made available in the user registration history (great feature).  It would be great to be able to upload manual invoices and attached them to the combination registrant /event.  Yet this is less important when one can use the automatic invoice which is the preference.
Currently, waiting for the answer of my accountant, I have disabled automatic invoicing.

Very best regards

Emmanuel

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc