PayPal fees settings

• Glenn Westfall
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #71431 by Glenn Westfall
PayPal fees settings was created by Glenn Westfall
I am using Eshop with the PayPal payment plugin. PayPal chargers a % and a flat fee for processing. Since we are a nonprofit, I would like to pass this on to the customer. I see in the payment plugin where I can set a flat fee OR a percentage fee but not both. Events Booking and Membership Pro allows both to be added to the PayPal plugin. Can this be added to EShop? I thought about a workaround by setting up the flat fee in the plugin and making the % fee a tax. But I can't see a way to only charge tax if the user pays with PayPal and not pay tax if using an offline payment. Then I came up with one more workaround: set the PayPal fee to be a % and set the tax to be the set fee. Then create a coupon code to deduct that flat fee if the user chooses offline payment. The only problem is there is no way to stop the user from using the coupon code even if he is paying with PayPal. One more thing, once a coupon code is applied, there is no way for the user to remove it. This would be handy if the user has a couple different codes and wants to see which one would be more beneficial. The ability to remove a coupon that has been applied but not yet checked out would be great. I think the best option for my issue would be to allow the PayPal plugin to work like the Events Booking and Membership Pro plugins and allow for BOTH percent AND flat fee to be charged.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #71572 by Giang Dinh Truong
Replied by Giang Dinh Truong on topic PayPal fees settings
Hello Glenn,

Currently, EShop PayPal method only allows you to enter a fixed payment fee OR percentage payment fee. There is no way to enter both of them. If you want to have that, I will consider to do it for you as a custom feature.

Sincerely, Giang

• Glenn Westfall
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #73232 by Glenn Westfall
Replied by Glenn Westfall on topic PayPal fees settings
Is it possible to add this feature? Is it just a change of code? If so I can do that if I know where to change it. I would like it to have the exact same features as Events Booking and Membership Pro to add both the fixed fee AND the percentage.

Glenn

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 4 months ago #73248 by Giang Dinh Truong
Hello Glenn,

If you are a programmer, you can change to the following file to get that feature:

1. Change to components/com_eshop/plugins/payment/os_paypal.xml to add a new config variable for % fee

2. Change to components/com_eshop/helpers/payment.php to calculate the payment fee based on both of fixed amount and % amount.

Hope that this is useful.
Sincerely, Giang

• Glenn Westfall
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #74322 by Glenn Westfall
I was able to successfully get the two different fields to show up on the PayPal payment plugin, but can't get it to calculate the payments successfully. I'm obviously doing something wrong in the payment.php file.

This is something that I really need to have on my site. Currently I am using a tax as the percentage part of the payment fee and then using a coupon code to deduct that same amount of percentage if using offline payment. However, they don't exactly match because the tax is calculated after the coupon code is applied (as it should) but it doesn't work to fully counteract the tax like I need it to do. Plus this is just not a very good workaround.

How much would it cost to have this implemented? It seems it should be standard as ALL the other OSSolution products have this feature in the PayPal payment plugin. Why not Eshop?

Also, there is no way to remove a coupon code after it is applied?
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Glenn Westfall.

More
8 years 3 months ago #74345 by Brian Lisle
Replied by Brian Lisle on topic PayPal fees settings
Hi Glenn - I have had issues with paypal with both membership pro and events booking in the way it calculates the fees - Tuan was great in providing me with the code change to be able to pass the total fee along to the end user, but by default I was losing a few cents per transaction. For your workaround, you can check this site to make sure your percentage is correct - it shows what the fees should be if you are sending an amount and also (this is the one you want to look at) if you want to receive a certain amount. salecalc.com/paypal
Hope this helps you, I have a non-profit club that didn't want to cover the paypal fees either.

• Glenn Westfall
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #74360 by Glenn Westfall
I just installed Eshop 2.0 and the PayPal payment plugin now allows both fixed and percent for a payment fee just like the other OSSolution extensions. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago #74378 by Giang Dinh Truong
Yes, Glenn!

I added that to all of payment plugins of EShop.

Have a nice weekend!
Sincerely, Giang

• Glenn Westfall
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #74641 by Glenn Westfall
Brian,

How did you overcome this? I noticed that out of a $352 sale, Eshop adds 2.9% + .30 so the total payment from the user was $362.51 but PayPal charges .30 + 2.9% of the $362.51 so my end payment was $351.70, a loss of .30 in this case. How do you avoid this as the effective percentage will change depending on the total sale? Smaller sales will have a higher effective percentage.

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago #74680 by Giang Dinh Truong
Hello Glenn,

Currently, we only have a fixed configuration for fixed and percentage as payment fee. We don't have the flexible configuration based on total range.

Sincerely, Giang

Moderators: Giang Dinh Truong