Tracking Numbers for Shipping

• skinny_minny
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #46773 by skinny_minny
Tracking Numbers for Shipping was created by skinny_minny
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to send at tracking number to a customer after they have purchased an item. Can there be a generated e-mail sent to the customer within the extension where I can paste the tracking number within a form?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #46776 by Giang Dinh Truong
Replied by Giang Dinh Truong on topic Tracking Numbers for Shipping
Hello Skinny,
I am a bit confused about your question. Seem you want to assign a tracking number for each order and send that tracking number to the customer when sending the notification email?
By the way, can you also let me know the purpose of using tracking number in your system?
If all is clear, I will consider to add this feature for you.
Hope to hear back from you soon.
Sincerely, Giang

• skinny_minny
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #46800 by skinny_minny
Replied by skinny_minny on topic Tracking Numbers for Shipping
If a customer orders an item, I decide to ship the item and then receive a tracking number. Is there something within the extension where I could forward this information to the customer to track the package.

"To email the tracking number to your customers, first you must setup order confirmation emails to automatically send an email to a customer when their order is marked as Processed or Shipped (depending on your settings) and copy/paste the manually obtained tracking number in to the order comments field"

I was wondering if you had that feature.

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #46808 by Giang Dinh Truong
Hi again Skinny,
EShop does not have the tracking number feature now. But I will consider to do it for you. But I would like to make it clear so I can implement it:

1. Tracking number is a random number which will be generated automatically after an order is created. Correct?
2. After customer completed order, they will get the notification email and you want to send this tracking number to the client via notification email. Correct?
3. How is the tracking number used to track the package? Please explain more.

Hope to hear back from you soon.
Sincerely, Giang

• skinny_minny
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #46832 by skinny_minny
When you send a package through the Postal Service, FedEx or UPS you have the option to receive a tracking number which shows you where you package is at all times until it reaches its delivery point. Amazon gives information like this as well but its through Amazon and not directly from the vendor. I am just not sure how the vendor is able to give Amazon the customers tracking number on the back end.

More
9 years 9 months ago #46882 by Steven J
Replied by Steven J on topic Tracking Numbers for Shipping
I think skinny_minny is suggesting that there be a new field where one could cut and paste the tracking number assigned to a shipment by FedEx, UPS, Postal Service, etc. This would allow the shop owner to be able to keep track of tracking numbers (and perhaps carrier that is handling the shipment).

When this field is populated and a box was ticked, a notification email could be sent to the customer with the tracking number. I am not sure how this notification email would work with the existing status change notification email.

Steven
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giang Dinh Truong, skinny_minny

• skinny_minny
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #46905 by skinny_minny
Correct.

More
9 years 9 months ago #46957 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Tracking Numbers for Shipping
Hello. I would also like to confirm this is a very important feature to have. Other eCommerce solutions I have used including MarketPress allows you to enter the Postal service tracking number and email this to the customer so they can track the progress of their order through the postal service providers website.. I am very surprised this is not built in as a basic function. I hope you can add this feature in the very near future. Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: skinny_minny

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #46990 by Giang Dinh Truong

skinny_minny wrote: When you send a package through the Postal Service, FedEx or UPS you have the option to receive a tracking number which shows you where you package is at all times until it reaches its delivery point. Amazon gives information like this as well but its through Amazon and not directly from the vendor. I am just not sure how the vendor is able to give Amazon the customers tracking number on the back end.

Hi again Skinny,
Thank you for explain more about this to me. I am more clear about this feature now. There are some other customers also asked about this and sound like this is an important feature. I will work and add it to EShop soon.
Sincerely, Giang

• Giang Dinh Truong
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #46991 by Giang Dinh Truong

Steven Judelson wrote: I think skinny_minny is suggesting that there be a new field where one could cut and paste the tracking number assigned to a shipment by FedEx, UPS, Postal Service, etc. This would allow the shop owner to be able to keep track of tracking numbers (and perhaps carrier that is handling the shipment).

When this field is populated and a box was ticked, a notification email could be sent to the customer with the tracking number. I am not sure how this notification email would work with the existing status change notification email.

Steven

Hi Steven,
Thank you for explaining this to me. I think you are right. I will take some research and will find a correct solution to implement it.
I will let you guys know once it is ready.
Sincerely, Giang

Moderators: Giang Dinh Truong