All questions about EDocman extension

Access rights with multiple groups.

More
10 years 11 months ago #31127 by Rembo
Hi all,

I want to setup a download structure as part of our product support but I am not sure if eDocman can assist me in setting this up properly.

Let me give an example of what I want to achieve.

We manufacture three products; product A, product B and product C.
Product C is basically a special version of product B.

Looking at the directories I created these directories and (sub)categories:

/eDocman/productA
/eDocman/productB
/eDocman/productB/productC

Along with each product we provide two manuals; one manual in Dutch language and the other manual in English language.
In each directory above we store both manuals.

Now if a Dutch client purchases product A we want to give him access to the Dutch manual for product A, but not the other ones. Likewise for other buyers; I could now setup 6 groups, each corresponding with product-language group.

In reality we have dozens of products so I tend to organize them in categories and subcategories.
Our clients come from all over the world but we support 8 languages in our manuals.
Clients can purchase multiple products and sometimes need to have access to different languages of the manuals.

Back to my example.

Can I sort of 'union' rights within eDocman?
For example, say I put a client (registered user) in two groups called 'ProdABuyers' and 'ProdCBuyers'.
I also want to restrict this client to be able download the Dutch manuals only.

How would I best set this up in eDocman?

Thanks for your help,

Rembo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #31214 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Re: Access rights with multiple groups.
Hi Rembo

I believe we can have it done with EDocman using ACL but it will need sometime to think about the requirement and setup the corresponding groups and access levels.

At the moment, I still don't really understand how you setup it. If you setup the categories, documents and then show it to me, I think I can find a solution for you.

Tuan

More
10 years 11 months ago #31226 by Rembo
Replied by Rembo on topic Re: Access rights with multiple groups.
Dear Tuan,

Thank you for your reply.
Let me just draw out a very simple scenario to explain what I would like to achieve.

As said we sell product A and product B. Both have their own directory:

/edocman/producta/
/edocman/productb/

In each of these directories I store two user manuals. One in English language and one in Dutch one:

/edocman/producta/pra_nl.pdf
/edocman/producta/pra_en.pdf
/edocman/productb/prb_nl.pdf
/edocman/productb/prb_en.pdf

Now let's say I have a buyer, Customer A tha t purchases product A.
Because this customer is from England I only want him to be able to download/view the usermanual for Product A.

In other words, Customer A must only be able to download /edocman/producta/pra_en.pdf

What I would like to be able to configure is this:

1) Everybody that purchases Product A I want to add to a user group 'Buyers A', regardless of their language.
2) Depending on the language they use I also want to add each user to a language group. In this example I would like to add Customer A to the group 'Language EN'.

3) Last but not least I want to setup the proper rights for pra_en.pdf so so that only the combination of the groups 'Buyers A' and 'Language EN' can download this document.

In other words, pra_en.pdf can only be downloaded if a user belongs to groups 'Buyers A' and 'Language EN'.

Is something like this possible with eDocman?

Rembo

More
10 years 11 months ago #31550 by Rembo
*bump*

Anybody have an idea?

Thnx,

Rembo

More
10 years 11 months ago #31568 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Dear Rembo

Will think about it carefully and answer you on tomorrow ! It is too late for me here now already (too busy today).

Tuan

More
10 years 10 months ago #31887 by Rembo
Hi Tuan,

Judging by the waiting time I guess it is not that easy.
This is probably not a way that can be implemented into Joomly by a plugin.

Cheers,

Rembo

More
10 years 10 months ago #31888 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Rembo

To be honest, I haven't had enough time to think about it yet. Please give me the time to think about it until this time on tomorow and I will give you a clear answer.

Tuan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rembo

More
10 years 10 months ago #31892 by Rembo
That would be great Tuan. Thnx.

More
10 years 10 months ago #31967 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Rembo

Finally, I finished my other works this afternoon (implement a library which allows developing extensions easier, faster) and can come back to your question.

I think I understand your requirement now. Your setup is "nice to have" but it is not possible currently using Joomla ACL, so we will need to use a different setup. I will show it to you, not sure it will work for you or not. If not, there will be another options : We can customize the extension (will discuss about it further).

1. For each product, we will have to setup different EDocman documents. Each document is for one language of that product. Something like Product A English, Product A Dutch....

2. We will also need to setup different Joomla Groups for each document. Each Joomal Group is for one language. For example GroupAEnglish, GroupADutch... and so on.

3. When an English customer purchase Product A, he will need to be assigned to GroupAEnglish group. Same setup for other customers.

4. Now, for each product, you need to edit it, set Download permission for the corresponding Group :

- Product A, English Language, set Download permission for GroupAEnglish to Allowed, other groups leave as default (Inherit, so no download is possible)
- Product A, Dutch Language, set Download permission for GroupADutch to Allowed, other groups leave as default (Inherit, so no download is possible).

- Some for other products and other languages.

Is my explanation clear to you ? Will this settings work for you ?

Please think about it and let me know !

Tuan

More
10 years 10 months ago #31974 by Rembo
Hi Tuan,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that.

We already had the system setup as per your suggestion. The thing is that we have many products and many languages. So as you can understand that means we have a lot of groups now.

For example, 10 products x 6 languages = 60 groups.

If you could union the rights for groups you could suffice with 10 + 6 = 16 groups. Much easier to maintain.

For now I will keep it like it is. It works and that is what is important.

Cheers,

Rembo

Moderators: Mr. Dam