.ics text issue

• Ernie
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 5 days ago #160158 by Ernie
.ics text issue was created by Ernie
A client is reporting that the text of .ics files that are output from the event "Save to" drop-down or attached to a registration record is returning plain text from the Short Description field in the event. The Short description is where we have all the details (we don't normally use the main Description box). The Short Description contains fully-formatted HTML and CSS and usually some images.

Here's what is returned:Greater Charlotte, Greater Triad, Greater Triangle Area, Greater Wilmington Area and Greater SC PCCs host:FREE Hybrid Event Lunch included!Friday, September 22, 2023        11:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.            ACCESSO Conference Center 8335 IBM Dr. Building 101 - Innovation Park Charlotte, NC 28262Keynote Speakers – Live from CharlotteShibani Gambhir, USPS Vice President, Business DevelopmentGlen Swyers, The Imagine Group Director, Marketing Integration         Also:PMG Louis DeJoy Keynote Video                     Delivering for the Carolinas - Postal Leadership                         There is Still Hope - Industry Co-chair Glen Swyers  Direct Mail - the positive side of what is coolDirect Effect – making a difference in the classroomLeaders Connect – making a difference with your new team membersPromotions – inspiring innovation and helping your postage budgetSponsor Recognition/Door PrizesIf you would prefer to attend in-person at the NC District Office, 416 Gallimore Dairy Road, Suite J, Greensboro, NC 27409, please visit www.GreaterTriadPCC.com  for registration.If you are unable to attend in-person at either location but would like to attend by ZOOM, please email

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ernie
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 3 days ago #160212 by Ernie
Replied by Ernie on topic .ics text issue
Has anyone seen this?

Can anyone bring some clarity as to what to do about it?

Thank you,
Ernie

More
8 months 2 days ago #160217 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic .ics text issue
Hi Ernie

I will have to check it again. However, I don't think it is allowed to use HTML content in ics, so that is not possible, I'm afraid of

Regards,

Tuan

• Ernie
  • Topic Author
More
8 months 2 days ago #160224 by Ernie
It's not that the client is looking for HTML output to the Description for the event, but that it does not contain the text as it's being displayed because it's not very helpful to the user in that format.

Using the Short Description field for the event to populate the Description part of a .ics file may be the issue.

In order to make the events easy to scroll and see all the details, I only use the Short Description in creating events - they usually contain HTML and graphics.

I don't use the Description field for events because most users won't click on the Details button for a list of events.

If the Short Description is the source for the .ics Description, is there a way to make the Description field in events show on the main area for events instead of the user needing to click on Details for each event?

If that were the case, I could change the way we use Short Description.

Is there somewhere else - maybe under Messages and Emails - where .ics Description information could be entered and drawn from?

Thank you,
Ernie

More
8 months 1 day ago #160227 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Ernie

Currently, we do not have a separate field to allow entering ICS description. I will think about it and might add support for it in next release. Will let you know

Regards,

Tuan

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #162221 by Adi Heutschi
Replied by Adi Heutschi on topic .ics text issue
What is the current status for .ics support?

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #162224 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Adi

What kind of support to ics you are looking for ?

Tuan

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #162225 by Adi Heutschi
The ability to save an event directly to your calendar (Outlook, Google Calendar, etc.).

regards adi

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #162228 by Adi Heutschi
Hello Tuan

Could also be an .ical file. In principle, it would be great if such an .ical or .ics file could be made available as a download for each event entry so that visitors can automatically save the event date in their calendar.

Here a Example:

Live Site URL:  Link to live site

Is that possible?
regards
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by Adi Heutschi.

• Ernie
  • Topic Author
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #162229 by Ernie
There is already support for multiple calendar formats for events:

Check your Configuration to be sure those options are enabled.

The issue I was describing in my original post was that the source for the .ics description comes from the Short Description field for the event, which my clients usually use for entering formatted HTML and images to display on the website. That does not translate well to the .ics event description info.

Tuan suggested that maybe a new field could be added to events that could be exclusively for the calendar export. This would also be helpful for online events where a link and other details need to be provided that are not advisable to be shown on a public home page.

Maybe some fields need to be added to events to support calendar export fields and include the link for online events in the Location field of the calendar.

My clients have wanted this for a long time. Some of them are using third-party programs to generate .ics files to attach to their promotional emails.

Thank you,
Ernie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adi Heutschi