Importing from csv and creating joomla account

• Alan Henness
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 3 months ago #75573 by Alan Henness
Replied by Alan Henness on topic Importing from csv and creating joomla account
For completeness, I need to say that Tuan found my stupid error! I had a trailing space in the column name that meant it wasn't recognised as a field. Problem now solved.

Thanks to Tuan for his help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #75619 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Importing from csv and creating joomla account
It is not really your mistake. My mistake, too. I should handle it in the code to prevent this error (it is doable). So I will update the code to prevent issue like that in the future, too busy now, but I will do it, maybe during the weekend

Tuan

• Alan Henness
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #77165 by Alan Henness
I'm now trying to work out how to let members whose details have been imported know what their password is. I could configure joomla to send the username and password when the account is created. I think this would happen on the csv import if 'Send activation email' is set to yes) but I'd prefer to get everything imported, checked and then send out an email to everyone - I'm using acymailing. But I can't send the passwords out that way.

I could set each password to be the same random string, send that out in an acymailing newsletter and tell everyone to login and change their password, but that's obviously not ideal.

Is there a way to get joomla to send out an email with a link to force members to change their password? If there was, I could send out the newsletter telling members this was about to happen, then send out the password reset emails.

Or is there a better way to do this?

• Alan Henness
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #77166 by Alan Henness
Ah. Will this work?

Disable 'Send activation email' so users don't get an activation email when I import the csv.

Send everyone the link to password reset: www.healthwatch-uk.org/component/users/?view=reset

They will have to enter their email address and will be sent a link to change their password along with an activation code.