Should we use Media Manager for uploading image?

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #83873 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Should we use Media Manager for uploading image? was created by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Dear customers

I need your input about a feature I want to add into Events Booking. It has been requested by few customers

Basically, instead of browsing and uploading images for events at the moment, we will just use Joomla Media Manager for managing events image. You can upload images via Joomla Media Manager, then select these images for events in Events Booking. I think most Joomla users are familar with Media Manager, so uploading image via Media Manager might make it easier for new EB customers

Events Booking will then resize that selected image to generate thumbnail and also have an option to generate a large version of the images to display on event detail page

So the question is should we make this become default behavior in the extension? Are there any problem if I changes the extension to allow uploading events image via Media Manager instead of the old upload?

Looking forward to receiving your feedback

Tuan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #83876 by James Riley
Replied by James Riley on topic Should we use Media Manager for uploading image?
I'm all for tighter integration with Joomla core features. And being able to choose an existing photo in addition to being able to upload a new photo would be great (many of my events are annual, and I have to attach a new image every time right now).

A couple questions arise:
1) Would Media Manager be available for front-end users, or is it a back-end only admin tool? I'm not familiar with how MM works on the front end (nor how EB works on the front end for that matter -- I use the back-end admin panel for everything on my sites!) Would front-end users be limited to upload only, or would they be able to browse existing images (which may not be desirable or could pose a security issue)?
2) Would EB maintain its own thumbnail of the image separately just in case the original image is changed or deleted (possible 'missing image' issue)? Would it make its own thumbnail on event creation, or would it re-sample the original every time (possible performance issue, and missing image issue)?

James Riley .: EventBooking user since 2014 ::: JoomDonation user since 2016 :.
.: grfx & web design / IT / AV @ St. Therese Institute of Faith and Mission, Bruno, SK, Canada :.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #83877 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Should we use Media Manager for uploading image?
Thanks James for your feedback

#1=> It will only available for backend event creation. For frontend event submission, users will still have to upload image as before

#2=> Yes. It maintains it own thumbnail image (and infact, a copy of the selected image, too). I have to keep a copy of the selected image (store in media/com_eventbooking/images) folder to maintain backward compatible in case customers customize the extension using template override. So if you delete the image in media manager (by accident), it won't affect the thumbnail in Events Booking

Also, if you select the same image for your two events, EB will not generate new image and new thumbnail. Not sure what should be the best behavior. If we maintain a second copy of that image, it will cost an extra hosting space + a bit performance issue. So at the moment (in my code), I don't create a copy of the image in case your second event select same image in media manager

Tuan

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #84011 by FrankM
Media Manager will be nice. Use Joomla Core Functions whenever it possible.

Productiv: Joomla 3.5.1 / EB 2.4.3 / PHP 7.0.5
Testsys: Joomla 3.5.1 / EB 2.4.3 / PHP 7.0.5

Sorry, english isn't my native language.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by FrankM.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #84013 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Should we use Media Manager for uploading image?
Thanks for your both feedback. It will be part of next release 2.8.0 which I am testing right now.

Regards,

Tuan

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc