"Membership"

• Dave Ascher
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 4 days ago #166352 by Dave Ascher
"Membership" was created by Dave Ascher
[object Object] As far as I can tell, an individual is a member if and only if they have a Joomla account. Until now, we have maintained a completely separate "Membership" list using another unrelated application. The idea of all the Members becoming registered users within Joomla make my client nervous and would, I think, require the addition of an integrated application like your Membership app. 

Is it "possible" (ie. Without a terrible amount of errort to extend Events Management to check if a potential registrant is either on a list (in a text file or csv or xml exported from the external membership application) or (ideally) check through some standard mechanism that could allow it to communicate with the membership application itself?? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #166360 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic "Membership"
Hi Dave

I could not follow your question. Could you please explain more details ?

Regards,

Tuan

• Dave Ascher
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 4 days ago #166365 by Dave Ascher
Replied by Dave Ascher on topic "Membership"
1- is it correct that "membership" in Events Management means that the person who is attempting to register for an event must have a Joomla account on the site?

2- is there any other way that Events Management can determine that somebody is a " Member" - for example, by checking a csv or xml file created by another application?

More
1 week 3 days ago #166371 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Dave

1. No. If you don't want users to register for an account on your site, just set User Registration config option to No and users won't need to register for an account when they register for your event

2. No, you would need to write custom code if you want to check that. But I still don't understand what's the purpose to check if someone is a member as you said

Regards,

Tuan

• Dave Ascher
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 3 days ago #166390 by Dave Ascher
Replied by Dave Ascher on topic "Membership"
Tuan - thank you for the quick and clear reply. As it turns out, the site owner is fine with a human being determining membership status when the individual appears at the event . The registrant has to go to a table where their membership status is verified by a person with a list of members.

I have used only a small portion of the vast capabilities of EB and despite the online documentation I have found myself scratching my head in confusion numerous times about what a particular term is intended to mean. 

IF an event is a Members event - i.e. restricted to members only - how does EB determine the potential registrants' membership status?  From your most recent message when you wrote "just set User Registration config option to No and users won't need to register for an account when they register for your event" I get the impression that visitors can register with EB as "Members" - which apparently does not make them Registered Joomla User but does add them (name and email address?) to some database table of "EB members". Is that correct? Can EB Members be added to this database table by a Joomla manager or Administrator as well? When a guest 'registers' as  an "EB Member", what information do they have to supply? Is the membership 'provisional', requiring approval by somebody in an administrator role? That approval would be based upon the person having a currently paid up annual membership fee - and that information is located in a separate app that  they use to manage memberships. 

I'd always presumed that "Member" meant Joomla User - until I received your message. This new knowledge on my part might lead to some changes in how we manage event registrations. 

Thank you very much.

More
1 week 1 day ago #166442 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Dave

Honestly, I don't really understand what you are trying to do/setup here, so I could not give you a clear answer

Normally, Yes, Member is a Joomla user account. And in Joomla, an user account can be assigned to different user groups, thus having different access level.

For each event, you can determine what access level can view it, what access level can register for it.

So basically, you can control what members can view and register for certain event

By default, these access level set to Public, mean everyone can see and register for the event

Tuan