- Category: Using Extensions
- Published on 02 June 2010
- Written by Tuan Pham Ngoc
- Hits: 13685
Before using the extension, you need to access to Configuration function of the extension to change configuration data to meet your purpose. When you first install the extension, the system auto generate default configuration data. To change these configuration parameters, please login to back-end, access to Documents Seller => Configuration . There are many configuration parameters, the meaning of each parameter is explained next to them, and they are easy to understand. I will just explains the meaning of important parameters in the below section :
- Integration (General tab) : If you are using Community Builder on your site, set it to Community Builder. If you are using JomSocial on your site, set it to JomSocial . Otherwise, set it to None . The purpose of the integration is that if customers logged in and access to Order form, the basic data (first name, last name,....) in the form will be auto filled by the data stored in customer's profile so that he doesn't have to type it again.
- Documents path (General tab) : That is the absolute path to the folder where your documents stored. The folder can be out side the root of your Joomla(TM) site, you just need to enter the correct path for this parameter. By default, It is set to documents folder under the root of your Joomla(TM) site.
- Category Thumbnail Path(General tab) : That is the relative path to the folder where category thumbnails are stored, something like images/dms/category. You need to upload thumbnails of categories manually to this folder.
- Document Thumbnail Path(General tab) : That is the relative path to the folder where product's thumbnails are stored, something like images/dms/product. You need to upload thumbnails of products manually to this folder.
- Payment methods (Payment tab) : Choose the payment methods you want to use on your site . If there are more than one methods selected, users can choose the payment method they want to use on order form to process Payment . You will also need to change the merchant account of the payment gateways you want to use on your site : Paypal ID (Paypal), API Login and Transaction Key (Authorize.net).... on Payment tab .
- Fields tab : Allows you to choose to Show / Hide , Require / Not require any fields (First name, last name, address,...) on the order form .
- Fields mapping tab : You only need to change config options on this tab if you are using CB or JomSocial on your site. You will need to enter Field name (in CB) or Field Code (in JomSocial) which are mapped to these fields. For example, If you enter cb_firstname into First name textbox , when a user logged in and access to the order form form, the data stored in his profile from field cb_firstname will be auto filled in to First name field on the form so that he doesn't have to enter it again . The same for other fields (last name, address, city....) .
- After changing necessary configuration parameters, the next steps is upload files to server. You can upload files to server by two ways :
- Access to Documents Seller -> Files , Click on Upload Files icon in the tool bar, browse for document and Press Upload button .
- In case your files are big, you can upload file via FTP using an FTP Client . In this case, you need to upload file to the folder where you set in Configuration area (Documents path parameter) .
- The uploaded documents will be stored in the folder where you set in the configuration area (Documents path). When you create new document, you can choose from list of available files (which you uploaded in this step) for your document .
- If you cannot upload files, there might be some reasons which you can see below :
- The file extension is not allowed. In this case, you need to go back to Configuration, look at Allowed File Types, change it to include file type which you are uploading.
- The files are too big. Bye default, PHP only allows you to upload files smaller than 2MB. In this case, you need to contact your hosting provider to ask them to change the setting or you can upload file via FTP . (There are some other ways like using a .htaccess file or using a php.ini file but It is difficult for you as normal Joomla(TM) users).
Creating and managing categories
Documents Seller allows you to divide documents into categories (unlimited level) . From version 2.5.7 , you can also assign a document into multiple categories. To manage and create categories, please access to Documents Seller => Categories . You can create, edit, delete, publish / unpublish categories from this page . To create new category, press New button on the toolbar . Some important notes here :
- Documents Seller supports multiple layouts for displaying documents in a category . They are: Default Layout - each document in one row (visit http://dms.joomdonation.com/index.php?option=com_dms&task=view_category&category_id=11&Itemid=11 for sample), Columns layout - several documents in one row(visit http://dms.joomdonation.com/index.php?option=com_dms&view=category&layout=columns&Itemid=2 for sample), Table layout - Display documents in table format (visit http://dms.joomdonation.com/index.php?option=com_dms&view=category&layout=table&Itemid=16 for sample) . When you create new category, you can choose the layout you want to use for this category .
- + You can assign thumbnail for each category . The thumbnails will need to be pre-uploaded to the folder which you set in configuration area (Category thumbnail path parameter) .
Creating / Managing Documents
The next steps is creating documents. To create documents, please access to Documents Seller => Documents, the press New button in the toolbar. There are some important parameters when creating new document :
- Category : You can assign a document to mutiple categories .
- Price : If you enter 0 or leave it empty, the extension will be free for download .
- Short description : This description will be showed in document list (when you view a list of documents in a category) .
- Description : This description will be showed in document detail page.
- Prevent download type : You can limit the download for a document by changing this parameter. If you set it to No Limit, there will be no limitation. If you set to After X Downloads, users will be able to download the purchased documents in a number of times (this number need to be entered in Number downloads textbox). If you set it to After X days, users will be able to download the documents within the time you specify in the Number days textbox.How to use Fee Field feature in Payment Form
Creating menu items to link to the component:
- Now we need a way for customers to access to the component from front-end of the site. To do that, we will need to create a new menu item :
- In the menu management, press New button.
- In the next screen, choose Documents Seller .
- In the next screen, depend on the setting of your system, you can choose from one of available views:
- If you have more than one category, choose Categories view . When users access to this menu item, they will see lisf of categories in the system. Then can click on a category to browse for documents in this category .
- If you only have one category, choose Category View. If you choose this view, please remember to choose the category you want to display in the menu parameter. When users access to this menu item, they will see list of documents in this category .
- If you only have one document, choose Document View . If you choose this view, please remember to choose the Document you want to display in the menu parameter. When users click on this menu item, the system will display detail page of document and they can click on Order Button to start the purchase.
- The other menu item which you should also create is the menu item which allows users to download purchased documents when login to your site. You should place this menu item under User menu section . The menu should have title Orders History or something like that and link to Mydocs layout of Documents Seller.
- If you allows users to upload documents from front-end, please create a menu item with title Upload Document and link to Doc view of Documents Seller.
Other features :
- Coupons : This feature allows you to create coupon codes and send it to your customers . On checkout process, if customers enter the correct coupon, they will get discount for their orders .
- Quick Edits : This feature allows you to change information of multiple documents like titles, prices . ... Just access to this feature, make change to any documents you want and press Save button . All the modification will be saved within one click .
- Import Files : This feature allows you to scan all files from a folder and create corresponding documents. For these new created documents, name of the file will be set to Title of document, price will be set to 0 . After running the scan, you can use the Quick Edit feature to change title and prices for newly created documents. That will save time in case you have many documents .
- Translations : This function allows you to check and change any language strings which you see from front-end of DMS . (Normally, you will have to look at language file to translate it) .
- CSV Exports : This allows you to export orders to CSV which you can then view it in MS Office Program .
- Tools : The system come with tools which allows you to migrate from Docman or Documents Seller For Docman into DMS .
- Tags : Allow you to manage tags of all the documents in the system. You can remove the tags which you don't want .