How to set up recurring payments with PayPal?

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #137049 by Ari
Hello,
First as always, thank you for such a useful extension. Membership Pro has been a good fit for our site.
We are trying to set up a recurring membership plan with the basic PayPal payment plugin.
We have a PayPal business account so that we can use a PayPal API.
How do we set up the PayPal API?

First, which PayPal API option do we choose?
The API options paypal offers are:

Through a shopping cart provider
  1. Pre-built payment solution
    If you’re using or plan to use a 3rd-party platform, like Magento or Shopify, for shopping carts and online stores where the PayPal payment processor is built in.
  2. REST API integration
    Get REST API credentials for test and live transactions with apps you create on the PayPal Developer site for your checkout, subscriptions, invoicing, and payouts needs.
Custom checkout experience
  1. Braintree SDK integration
    The Braintree SDK is powered by Braintree, a PayPal service. These easy to integrate SDKs allow you to accept payments via PayPal on your website and native mobile apps.
  2. NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic)
    You or your developer integrated NVP/SOAP (or “Classic”) APIs that allow you to accept payments via PayPal.

Second, once API selected, what info do we need to give PayPal, and then what info do we need to get from PayPal?

Third, where do we put that info in Membership Pro?

Thank you for a detailed answer. I just don't see anything in the documentation that lays this out. Neither do I see an obvious place in the Membership Pro GUI to enter the PayPal info (other than an email address) that would guide me to an answer.

Thanks in advance,
Ari
where do we enter the info in Membership Pro?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #137056 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic How to set up recurring payments with PayPal?
Hello

You don't need to setup and use any API. Just go to Membership Pro -> Payment Plugins, click on os_paypal payment plugin to edit, enter your PayPal email there, set it to Live Mode

Then you will be ready to use Membership Pro to receive payment from your subscriber. See membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/basic-...yment-plugins/paypal for detailed instructions

Tuan

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #137065 by Ari
I have used the instructions to set up a PayPal API and then enter the information into Membership Pro. I have then set up a recurring subscription plan.
How do I configure this to allow members to stop the next recurring payment from within Joomla?

More
3 years 8 months ago #137084 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic How to set up recurring payments with PayPal?
Hi Ari

1. Just configure Advanced Parameters, see membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/basic-...al#advanced-settings

2. Then create a menu item to link to user profile menu option of Membership Pro, see membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/frontend-items/user-profile

Users can then access to that menu item, look at My Subscriptions tab and cancel the recurring subscription from there. See membershipprodoc.joomservices.com/subscr...curring-subscription for more details

Tuan

• Ari
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #137163 by Ari
I've gotten the API set up from the instructions you sent, and users are now able to cancel their recurring subscription from the site (instead of having to go to PayPal to do it). Thanks Tuan.
Now I'm running into the problem that users who sign up for a recurring subscription plan require admin activation. My other non-recurring subscriptions don't require admin activation. My free plans do require admin activation. Not sure why this is happening. Please find screen capture of recurring plan configuration attached.

Could this have to do with the custom script snippet you provided here ?
How can I get this set up so that the recurring plan does not require approval like our current paid non-recurring plans do?
Thank you,
Ari
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Ari.

More
3 years 7 months ago #137164 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hi Ari

Activate what? Joomla user account or the subscription record? Could you please explain more details about it? How it works at the moment and how you want to change it

Let me know so that I can understand the actual issue and find a solution

Regards,

Tuan