Missing ICS files when subscribing to multiple events

More
2 years 6 months ago #146541 by Rob
Dear Tuan,

when testing the subscription flow in my platform ( platform.time-out.com ). I mentioned that when I as a user subscribe to multiple events, I do not receive all ICS files in my confirmation mail. When I subscribed to 3 events I received 2 ICS files, when I subscribed to 8 events I received 3 ICS files. My e-mail provider is GMAIL.

Kr,
Joris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago #146544 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Missing ICS files when subscribing to multiple events
Hi Joris

The only reasons I can think about this error is your events have same title. Could you please check to see if that's the case?

Tuan

More
2 years 6 months ago #146553 by Rob
That is absolutely correct. However it's normal as every event is created via the parent event (I have 10 children events)

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 6 months ago #146558 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Missing ICS files when subscribing to multiple events
Hello Rob

Please update your site to latest version of Events Booking. Then get this attached file, unzip it, upload to components/com_eventbooking/helper folder on your site and try again. The issue should be sorted

Regards,

Tuan
Attachments:

More
2 years 5 months ago #146850 by Denitz
We have already updated the component with the version from our previous support ticket, the code is same except the sendThirdReminder() method which exists on our site but missed in this attachment. I guess it means that the patch code is already included in current version.

I see that ICS files are generated with event ID suffix, it should help correct?

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago #146857 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
No, the patch code here is not included yet. I will patch it in next release.

Give me sometime (will use a better library to generate ICS file, but it will requires PHP 7.2+ to work, hope everyone is already use PHP 7 for now)

Regards,

Tuan

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago #146858 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Hello Denitz

Just checked the latest code and see that the code here is already included. So it works on your site now or not? Or you still have some issue with ICS ?

I will work on some improvements in the ICS generator (so for shopping cart, there will be on ICS file in the email only, not multiple ics files like how it is at the moment). However, it will requires PHP 7.2+ to work, so I decided to leave it to Events Booking 4 (which I will start working on very soon, and will raise PHP requirement to PHP 7.2.5 + - same with Joomla 4)

Regards,

Tuan

More
2 years 5 months ago #146920 by Denitz
Hello, the code works, thanks.

Imho PHP 7.4 is the current minimum, 7.2 is dead

• Tuan Pham Ngoc
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 5 months ago #146921 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
The code was added to 3.17.2. I wish I could use PHP 7.4, but I'm afraid of some clients are not ready yet, so to be safe, we will only require PHP 7.2+ for the new releases

Regards,

Tuan

More
2 years 5 months ago #147262 by Rob
Today I have been testing this feature again. We are at 3.17.2 currently

The behaviour I mentioned before is:
- max 3 ICS files/mail even though the user was subscribing to 10 events -> THis was the mistake
- Gmail (via browser) could recognize every of the 3 invites included in the ICS files -> Good

The behaviour I mentioned today is:
- Only 1 ICS file is sent out including all events to which the user is signing up -> Great!
- Gmail (via browser) could only recognize the first event included in the ICS file. All other events were not recognized
- Outlook could read the ICS file well but when you click on the ICS file outlook automatically creates a new calendar instead of adding the events automatically to your outlook calendar.

Proposal for the future:
- A user should receive the calendar invite in the native way he's used to. When I send a calendar invite from gmail to an outlook, yahoo, gmail, or whatever email client user, it's automatically added to the users' agenda without the need to download something. The feature in event booking should work in the same "native" way for a user.

Moderators: Tuan Pham Ngoc