Paypal IPNs stopped working

• Rick Nevins
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #54698 by Rick Nevins
Paypal IPNs stopped working was created by Rick Nevins
Up until 12/3/14, the IPNs from Paypal were working properly on my site. However, since then I can't get a successful IPN from the Live site. The IPN simulator works successfully and the sandbox site works. In order to investigate the problem, I put some debug code in the payment_confirm method of the osmembership controller. I am simply logging the contents of the $_POST global variable as well as the $_SERVER global variable. I have found that the $_POST array is empty when the IPN is coming from the live site but is populated when coming from the Simulator or from the Sandbox. Even when I do a re-send of the IPN from the Paypal site, the $_POST array is still empty, even through I can clearly see all the paypal variables in the IPN on the Paypal screen. On the Paypal IPN history, all the IPN transactions are shown as sent with a response code of 200.

Now I read that Paypal disabled SSL 3.0 on 12/3 which is very coincidental, although I don't understand why that would have broken the IPN process. See www.paypal-notify.com/eventnotification/...details?eventId=5783 I am using version 1.6.3 of Membership Pro.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #54706 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Paypal IPNs stopped working
Hi Rick

I had a customer had the same issue. For some reasons, he had to disable/remove the SSL certificate setup on the site so that It can work

Maybe there is something wrong with the SSL setup on the site ? Maybe you can try to contact your hosting provider to ask them to see why the POST data sending from Paypal IPN to the site is empty ?

That should give some clues so that you can check it further

Regards,

Tuan

• Rick Nevins
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #54790 by Rick Nevins
Replied by Rick Nevins on topic Paypal IPNs stopped working
Tuan,

Thanks for your reply. I worked with my hosting provider and verified that SSL 3.0 is disabled on my host. It is being disabled by many providers because of the Poodle vulnerability in SSL 3.0. Paypal disabled SSL 3.0 in early December. I talked to Paypal technical support today and they said that the symptoms I explained (no POST data) is due to the SSL 3.0 being disabled. They referred me to this document: ppmts.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1182 and explained that I need to set cURL options to use TLS. However, I don't know where that change would have to be made. Paypal said it should be done in the IPN listener, however that doesn't make sense to me because the POST data is already missing when it hits the listener in the OS Membership Paypal Payment plugin.

Please help - I feel like I have exhausted what I know how to do at this point. I'm surprised other users of the OS Membership paypal plugin aren't having this same problem?

Thanks,
Rick

More
9 years 3 months ago #54856 by Tuan Pham Ngoc
Replied by Tuan Pham Ngoc on topic Paypal IPNs stopped working
Hi Rick

The solution Paypal gave is not correct. The reason is because the POST data from Paypal, when it comes to IPN listener, has empty and it has nothing to do with curl (we don't use curl in the code of IPN listener, we just use fsock open function).

In your case, I think maybe the first step would be try to contact hosting provider to see whether there are any security add-on which can cause the empty post request from Paypal ?

Second, did you setup/install any extensions / plugins recently ?

Sorry for could not reply you earlier. Yesterday, I had a family work and could not work

Tuan